Talk

Advanced search

When to come off the pill

(15 Posts)
Cakelover1 Fri 21-Apr-17 15:12:55

Hi everyone, so iv been on the pill (microgynon 30) around ten years. Would love to start trying to conceive baby #1 around July/August time but have a holiday booked for July. Any experiences on coming off the pill and how long it took to regulate periods after stopping pill would be appreciated. Should I wait til after holidays? Don't want to spend the 2 weeks bleeding (sorry TMI).. TIA 🙂

WantToGoingTo Fri 21-Apr-17 15:33:08

I have just come off micronor which I think is similar and had a period bang on time the first month. Awaiting my second period now and it is sort of late (due today). So my experience is they regulate pretty quickly. When I came off cileste (combined pill) to ttc DS, Whoch I had been on for 9 years) same thing I had one normal period bang on time. Then I got pregnant so didn't have a second period!

Emma2803 Fri 21-Apr-17 15:48:09

You won't know until you stop. It took me 7 weeks to get my first period after stopping combined pill a few years ago to have ds and 6 weeks after stopping mini pill this time round.

Cakelover1 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:01:18

WantToGoingTo- fingers crossed for you 🙂
Hopefully I'm as lucky as you both!
Did either of you experience any side effects coming off the pill? Or have any irregular bleeding in between periods?

dangle90 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:13:18

I came off cerelle beginning of Dec, took about 32 days to have a period, they've been pretty regular so far but haven't conceived 5 months in. If I could go back I would of come off the pill sooner. But like emma said you just don't know until you start trying.
Good luck. X

Tentativesteps133 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:21:15

I didn't have a period for 5 months when i came off the pill last year so if you really want to start TTC mid-year I'd say stop now and use condoms to give yourself time to regulate. Obviously doesn't help with the period on hol issue as you have no idea when you'll come on initially...

Cakelover1 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:22:17

Looks like the best way is to come off them soon and go from there 😕 Little bit anxious as well as excited as haven't had a break from them in all these years so forgotten what periods were like beforehand! But will soon find out (hopefully).

Good luck dangle hope you get your BFP soon!

MrsELM21 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:25:12

I'd come off it, I came off it in June (2010) and got my BFP in October

Cakelover1 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:26:49

Oh no tentativesteps! Have you had your BFP since?
I think the sensible thing for me to do is probably wait until after hol so I'm not worrying about when it's going to come! Lol

user1486291035 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:10:26

I was on the same pill for 14 years. I came off last July and got back to normal straight away. My cycles do vary from month to month which is frustrating though. Have been trying since August with no luck yet 😔

Tentativesteps133 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:23:41

No BFP - currently day 50 of cycle2 and not sure if I've ovulated yet. I know my case is extreme but I'm just glad i came off it before we were desperate to conceive as it's been frustrating enough as it is.

dangle90 Fri 21-Apr-17 18:07:10

Thanks cake lover. Good luck whatever you decide to do smile x

sunshineandsea Fri 21-Apr-17 19:17:01

I was on microgynon for 12 years and came off it last April to TTC. Periods have been regular ever since, my cycles were a bit shorter to start with but now around 28/29 days. Still no BFP though sad I was not prepared for 'real' periods which are way more painful than when I was on the pill and they last for fricking ages! Then there's the mood swings and PMS... I really miss being on the pill!

HbH Fri 21-Apr-17 19:26:59

I was on microgynon for around 16 years, came off end of Nov to try around March. Very regular cycles on the pill and luckily, bar one, regular post pill too. Got my BFP first month which i was astounded about due to such a long time on the pill and slightly over the hill! (34)

Went on honeymoon Jan so was definitely worried about having a period ruining things (i used to run two packs back to back if need be) I did have it for a few days but was fine. I definitely found it beneficial to come off in advance and get my head round my cycles/ovulation/tracking/symptoms in advance... knowledge is power! Start your folic acid now too!

HbH Fri 21-Apr-17 19:28:48

Ps/ my post pill periods weren't really any worse than before... (tmi) blood was just a bit redder but not really more painful and only one day longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now