Talk

Advanced search

Recurrent miscarriage investigation

(13 Posts)
devuskums Thu 20-Apr-17 21:40:04

Hi I am 41 and after 3 years ttc have recently endured a miscarriage at 7 weeks followed by a blighted ovum discovered at 11 weeks. EPU have referred me for investigations...has anyone got any helpful info/tips for me please? Thanks x

meadowlark3 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:41:48

So sorry to hear. You might want to post in the infertility board as the ladies there are quite knowledgeable.
xx
flowers

devuskums Thu 20-Apr-17 21:50:32

Will do, thanks x

Fartootiredtobeawake Sat 22-Apr-17 00:51:28

Hi I had 5 recurrent miscarriages and was referred for tests at my local hospital. Basically they found nothing wrong with me or the OH. I was told to start baby aspirin as soon as became pregnant again. My first miscarriage was a blighted ovum.

After my 4th miscarriage I was referred to St.Mary's, I was told not to take aspirin unless they said, as it could cause problems implanting. Again nothing wrong with myself or IH, I was tested for 5th pregnancy and found that my blood ws indeed a tad thicker during Pregancy and was then at 6 weeks prescribed with baby aspirin. Unfortunately the baby stopped growing at 10 weeks. I opted for surgical removal and these were tested in my 4th and 5th pregnancies, these two had chromonsonal issues. Under the care of St.Mary's I was scanned weekly so hey could monitor the growth.

I did get pregnant again at 41 (my third pregnancy that particular year), and had my DD, who is absolutely heathy with no issues at all. I was once again scanned weekly until 13 weeks where I was then transferred back to my local hospital.

The on,y major thing I did differently before getting pregnant again was eating lots of eggs, as we had a friend who had chickens so got free eggs. I don't know if that changed anything.

Ask any questions, as I know I've rambled.

devuskums Sun 23-Apr-17 23:36:27

Thanks Fartootired...I have been eating a lot of eggs the past week or so, maybe I should carry on eating them!

Fartootiredtobeawake Mon 24-Apr-17 19:44:48

You never know!
Don't give up hope.

jimijack Mon 24-Apr-17 19:59:58

Hi, I had a total of 7 miscarriages, 5 of which were blighted ovums.

I was referred to Liverpool women's hospital for tests. Blood tests mostly, also dh was tested. All normal results.

They put me on aspirin, they put me on hormone injections and also high dose folic acid. I still miscarried, it just took longer to happen, presumably because of the hormones.
They discharged me, stating that they had no idea why 70% of miscarriages happen. They could not help,.

After the 7th miscarriage, aged 42, we gave up. That was the worst miscarriage so far. I was admitted to hospital for gas & air and morphine for pain relief. I was 10 weeks, blighted ovum again.

I got the pill from my Gp.
Waited for the first day of my period.
Felt very unwell.
Period didn't come, Felt even more unwell.
Thought I must have retained products, in other words, the miscarriage hadn't all come away.
So I had a scan. There on the screen was a baby, with a heart beat, fluttering. Wriggly little tiny miracle, right there in front of my eyes.
Assuming it would all end, I went home in shock.
It didn't end, at 43 I gave birth to my son.

So there you go, miracles could be right round the corner....keep going xxxxxxxxxx

SleepFreeZone Mon 24-Apr-17 20:07:27

I had three miscarriages in between my two sons (DS1 born when I was 37, DS2 when I was 40). The first two miscarriages were early and unexplained. The third was a MMC at my 12 week scan and the embryo was sent off for testing and found to have Downs. I had a D&C and fell pregnant a couple of months later. My consultant agreed to me taking aspirin, progesterone and Clexane (blood thinner). The pregnancy was successful and I have no idea if it would have been without the medication, we just decided to throw the kitchen sink at it.

My thoughts are that for many of us who are older and are otherwise normal and healthy, we just have old eggs. If we can find a good one then we get a baby, otherwise we miscarry. It's total shit and I'm back TTC now at the age of 42 and still breast feeding, so I suspect I won't be successful. But i have this thought that there might just be one good egg left in there and I just might be lucky

devuskums Mon 24-Apr-17 23:35:48

Ah jimijack thank you your post made me cry and also feel hopeful. Congratulations for your son x

devuskums Mon 24-Apr-17 23:37:58

Sleepfreezone...why only one good egg amongst the wizened ones?! I reckon we have at least 47 between us. Let's keep trying...x good luck...x

jimijack Tue 25-Apr-17 08:43:18

flowers

SleepFreeZone Sat 29-Apr-17 11:19:07

Well after saying I wouldn't piss on any sticks I decided to get some Clearblue dual hormone ov sticks to try next cycle to see if I'm ovulating. I have all the signs that I am but for all I know it could be much later in the cycle than I think as breast feeding usually gives you a short LP.

There was an interesting thread yesterday with ladies that were still actively trying in their late forties. It gave me hope as I'd sort of decided I had one year left.

devuskums Tue 02-May-17 23:15:32

Ooh I didn't see that thread Sleepfree...off to find it!! I have been using my temp as a guide to ovulation and an ovulation app called Ovuview, it seems quite easy to understand. .x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now