Talk

Advanced search

False positives

(15 Posts)
Hotpinkangel19 Wed 19-Apr-17 18:03:17

Just that!!! 😡 Did a Frer this morning and got a BFN. Did a Superdrug and Lloyds this afternoon and these came up. Fed up. Don't know what to trust anymore. What tests have people used that don't give evaps?

MrsCharlieD Wed 19-Apr-17 18:23:24

I have had a false positive on a Lloyd's test but first both the superdrug test and the Lloyd's to look positive I'd be tempted to wait a couple of days and do another Frer. I think the Lloyd's and superdrug tests are more sensitive than the Frer do I might just have been too early for the Frer to detect the hcg. Test in a couple of days and I hope you get the result you want.

Waitingonasmile Wed 19-Apr-17 20:59:13

That bottom test looks positive to me. Good luck flowers

Hotpinkangel19 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:03:16

Thank you xx just annoying you can't trust any tests!! X will have to wait and see x

TwoHatsTooMany Wed 19-Apr-17 22:46:42

I've had what seems like an increasing chance of a false positive on a superdrug digital. All others have been blank or a real squinter/line eyes. I gave in and booked a blood test cos I'm driving myself mad with symptom spotting

holzyb20 Thu 20-Apr-17 09:52:12

I had the same problem with superdrug had very convincing lines came up within the time frame but I was never pregnant

Hotpinkangel19 Thu 20-Apr-17 09:54:48

UPDATE: Mine were all evaps! Nothing on frer or clearblue. Very convincing

Waitingonasmile Thu 20-Apr-17 19:44:25

I'm sorry, that's so disappointing. It looked positive shock .

Hotpinkangel19 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:37:04

Both of them had lines on! I think FRER are the best, never had a line with those! X

Twinklestarr79 Thu 27-Apr-17 13:29:10

Superdrug early tests are very sensitive, they measure at 10mlu, they're very popular amongst ttcers at the moment as they are showing bfps way before the new frers which are having problems with showing very late and faint bfps, they are also more sensitive than clearblues. Also, false positives are rare, false negatives common, and evaps do not have colour, the colour is only produced by the strip reacting with hcg, an evap is grey or colourless, and coloured lines can show up hours after doing the test, this is because it takes hours, sometimes days, for the test strip to dry out, and meanwhile the urine continues to travel along the strip reacting with the result line. There is a very thorough, if also slightly long, explanation of this on another forum by a clinician, I will try to find the link. Unfortunately a by-product of very sensitive tests being widely available is that they can pick up pregnancies so early before they've even had a chance to get going, and chemical pregnancies and early spontaneous abortions are extremely common, approx a quarter of all pregnancies end very early on, causing confusion as ladies get a very early bfp or even several bfps, and then get what they assume is their period. In the past tests were much less sensitive so ladies would have miscarriages thinking they were just their periods, so even though we think it's good to find out as early as possible, and in some ways it is, it's also causing a lot of unnecessary heartache. However, having a chemical pregnancy or an early miscarriage doesn't mean there's anything wrong with us, they're very very common and the vast majority of women go on to have normal pregnancies. If you get an early bfp on a sensitive test, maybe just wait another week to do a clearblue or frer, or just wait until you're overdue for your period x

Viletta Tue 02-May-17 21:54:48

@hotpink have you retested? What are the news? I got faint line on superdrug and also confused..

Hotpinkangel19 Wed 03-May-17 09:46:27

@Viletta

BillyButtfuck Wed 03-May-17 09:49:26

Congratulations grin

Viletta Wed 03-May-17 10:29:16

@Hotpinkangel19 woooow!!! Congratulations!! Brilliant newssmile

Hotpinkangel19 Wed 03-May-17 11:07:00

Thank you xk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now