We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Folate

(10 Posts)
cleanjean Mon 17-Apr-17 11:06:31

I am just wondering if it's possible to get enough folate in your diet naturally for TTC/early pregnancy, rather than taking synthetic folic acid supplements. And/or is there a good natural folate supplement available in the UK?

physicskate Mon 17-Apr-17 11:41:09

They recommend taking folic acid specifically because it is nearly impossible to get enough folate through diet alone. I don't know about a 'natural' folate supplement though...

user1490817136 Mon 17-Apr-17 11:47:42

I don't know of a natural folate supplement OP but I personally wouldn't risk taking anything other than what is recommended by experts. We know very little about NTDs but we do know that since folic acid was recommended to women of childbearing age that NTDs are seen less frequently.

This is of course coming from an over cautious person (lost a pregnancy to spina bifida last year) but I'd say it probably isn't worth the risk unless you are sure of what you are taking.

cleanjean Mon 17-Apr-17 11:52:21

User it's because that I'm over cautious that I'm worrying about this lol. I've been so broody for so long and I've stupidly over googled everything. I've seen a couple natural folate supplements online but they are all from America and I'd rather get one from day Boots or Holland & Barrett as I'd feel more like it was the real deal of they were selling it.

I also really love spinach and veg so was hoping if I figured out how much I'd need to eat every day for enough folate, I could make it a part of my diet. I know this sounds mental lol!!

user1490817136 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:02:56

I see , yeah it is a confusing thing cleanjean. In America the recommended amount of folate is 800mcg whereas here it's half..I take 5mg because of my past.

Some GPs say you should take it three months before conceiving , some say it's fine as long as you're on it when you conceive.Apparently folate is water based so logically why would you need to take it for ages before conception?

I went with high dosage (5mg) for a month before conception.and bulked up on cereals , greens , avocados etc too. There doesn't seem to be any right answer though.

Colabottles64 Mon 17-Apr-17 14:47:45

Try Cytoplan Pregnacare for natural folate x

Colabottles64 Mon 17-Apr-17 14:49:25

Sorry Cytoplan Pregnaplan. Google and you'll see it. My acupuncturist recommended it x

cleanjean Mon 17-Apr-17 23:27:44

Thanks ill look it up! grin

Gunpowder Tue 18-Apr-17 07:49:19

Solgar also do a folate rather than a folic acid supplement. Quite ££ but it's a good brand.

cleanjean Tue 18-Apr-17 08:21:03

Thanks, I'll also look that up! Pregnaplan sounds great although I do wonder why it's so cheap. I suppose now I'm deciding between whether I want to be on a full multivitamin or just the folate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now