Talk

Advanced search

Conceiving post 35 years

(29 Posts)
complexsimplicity Sun 16-Apr-17 18:04:02

Just curious as to how difficult it might be...

Any experiences to share?

UppityHumpty Sun 16-Apr-17 18:10:25

Everybody else I know when they started ttc post 35 and got pregnant within the first 2 months of trying. I was diagnosed with pcos but was told I probably had it since I was a kid because my periods have always been irregular, and so ttc for me is a bit of a nightmare. But I'm the only one.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sun 16-Apr-17 18:14:48

I conceived ds at 36 on the first attempt. Another ds at 42 on the third month.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 16-Apr-17 18:21:53

Think both DC were around 3 months. First one at 36 and second at 39. Never tracked though so I'm not sure.

complexsimplicity Sun 16-Apr-17 19:16:10

Sounds promising. People tend to comment on biological clock at 35...

Not trying, but husband seems to think it would be a challenge. Of course I understand it varies person to person.

2Pinkhydrangea Sun 16-Apr-17 19:18:45

Fertility declines from 35 but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be difficult to conceive at 35+

Good luck!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 16-Apr-17 19:51:21

Are you thinking of trying? If so, I'd just let DH think that it may take a while and enjoy the ride as it were grin

mrsw14 Sun 16-Apr-17 20:02:30

14 months of trying at 35. Was prepared for it not to happen again after it took so long first time round, but 2 months of trying at 40.. smile

Oldschool41 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:39:09

I am 41 and fell pregnant, currently 4weeks and 6 days due 19th December. Anything is possible 😀 good luck everyone

eurochick Mon 17-Apr-17 07:43:49

Most people will be fine, but to show the other side of the coin, we started ttc a couple of weeks before I turned 35. It took us three years and four rounds of ivf to get a pregnancy that stuck. We had loads of tests but no issues were found. We were "unexplained".

GreedyDuck Mon 17-Apr-17 07:45:17

Got pregnant quickly four times from 39-43. But miscarried twice.

If you have regular cycles and ovulate, then conceiving shouldn't be a huge problem, but egg quality might be.

Chattycat78 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:53:30

Sorry but it's impossible to say, and what happens to others tells you nothing about what will happen to you. You don't know til you try I'm afraid.

It is true that the older you are the worse your egg quality will be though. I don't believe that there's a massive fertility drop off at 35 though- it's a gradual decline.

Chattycat78 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:55:29

Personally took me a year and ivf at 35 (with 1 mc in between) for ds1.

And 1 month and no ivf for ds2 at 36. hmm so it's fairly random I think even for the same person.

barefootandlost Mon 17-Apr-17 07:57:50

First month at 35, second month at 37. Also have loads of friends who have been the same age and conceived very quickly, though many of them have also had at least one miscarriage. From my anecdotal experience, it's the miscarriage rate that is the problem after 35: eg have several friends who have got pregnant incredibly fast each time but then gone on to have 3+ miscarriages before a baby, which might make it a year or more of trying before the first conception that led to a baby.

Frazzled2207 Mon 17-Apr-17 08:03:19

It took me a year at 34/35 there were other factors at play though, such as dicky thyroid.

Conceived the 2nd first month at 37 tho. Know several older mums who didn't have particular difficulties.

mycatloveslego Mon 17-Apr-17 08:20:00

TTC #2 at age 37 and got pregnant after 2 cycles. Sadly had a mmc and it took another 12 months to get pregnant again, also unfortunately a mmc. After the second mmc, got pregnant after 2 cycles and am now overdue waiting for ds2 to appear.
No idea why it took so long to conceive between mmc 1 and 2, I was starting to worry I'd left it too late as DH was keen to start ttc for number 2 when DS was only 6 months, but I couldn't face such a small age gap.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Mon 17-Apr-17 08:22:58

I had real concerns when we started to ttc when I was 36. I'd never been pregnant before so I presumed it would take a long time. I was very very lucky that it didn't.

I feel almost guilty admitting it, as I know many people try to conceive for many years. But in our case it happened quite quickly.

SpeckledyHen Mon 17-Apr-17 08:31:03

Second month at 38 and first month at 41 . Good luck !

SlipperyJack Mon 17-Apr-17 08:36:39

One DC at 36, one at almost 39. Miscarriage in between. All three pregnancies happened on the first month of trying.

Falconhoof1 Mon 17-Apr-17 10:05:50

I conceived after 3 months at age 38.

WelshMammy123 Tue 18-Apr-17 08:59:47

I'm really interested in this as I've just turned 38 and am currently TTC #2.

Started TTC #1 when I was 32 and finally had her at 35.

Started TTC #2 in January 2016 and was shocked to fall pregnant 2nd cycle but that ended in a MMC.

Fell pregnant 3 cycles after MMC but that sadly ended in a loss at 4 months.

So at age 37 I fell pregnant far quicker than I did when ttc #1 but sadly neither resulted in a take home baby.

Now on cycle 6 since the last loss and worried we're in for another very long journey but trying to stay calm about it all (!) x

TurquoiseDress Tue 18-Apr-17 13:09:47

Aged 34 I had been taking in the combined pill for over 14 years- stopped it and fell pregnant straight away.
LO born when I was 35

Aged 37 last year- same scenario, came off the pill and had withdrawal bleed then BFP a few weeks later.
Sadly MMC at dating scan.

Now on cycle 10 since the MMC and I am seriously wondering whether that is it for us having more babies.
Nothing much has changed in terms of lifestyle, alcohol consumption, exercise etc

However, I am now hurtling towards 39 and cannot believe that we have been TTC since I was 37, post-MMC.

I am very much of the opinion that it is a total lottery.
You can take all the supplements, whatever dose of folic acid or ubiquinol or other £££ tablet you can find, I'm not sure if any of it makes a difference in terms of conceiving.

I was taking absolutely nothing prior to finding out about my first 2 pregnancies.

Given my history, following the MMC it wouldn't have been a surprise if I had fallen pregnant v quickly like the other times.

Unfortunately it has flipped the other way...such a shame as I was so happy that there would be less than 3 years between LO and a new baby.

Now it's going to be at least 4 years +

It makes me laugh when people talk about planning age gaps now, and I have so much more of an understanding for those who have 5+ years between children & quietly get annoyed when others ask them about the gap and whether it was intentional.

Sigh...the main thing is getting a healthy pregnancy and baby at some point soon!

Jackiebrambles Tue 18-Apr-17 13:13:56

Yes most mums I know were over 35!

I had my first child at 36, the second at 38. I got pregnant the month after coming off the pill, so super quick.

For my second I got pregnant after three months of trying. So that was at 37.

So for me it was straight forward.

flossyfloss Thu 20-Apr-17 21:34:26

I'm on cycle 18 and still nothing sad I already have children from in my 20's and always got preg within 2 months. Had tests this time and all clear and they have said it must be down to me being older sad. I hope you don't wait too long xx

joodey Thu 20-Apr-17 21:39:48

Successful ivf at 32. Never conceived naturally then age 37 shock of my life ...pregnant and totally unexpected after 14 years of unprotected sex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now