Talk

Advanced search

Please reassure me here...

(5 Posts)
Puffinsareblackandwhite Thu 13-Apr-17 11:59:12

I use the NuvaRing, which I took out on Tuesday last week (so just over a week ago). On Friday night DH and I had unprotected sex. On Monday I started a very light period (last month was similarly light - tested then and was definitely not pregnant). I am still spotting/ bleeding (brown blood). Today I realised I had forgotten to put a new NuvaRing in, so it is about 36 hours late. Can you please reassure me I am not pregnant? How long will I have to wait to test?

Emma2803 Thu 13-Apr-17 14:11:38

I would say chances of the sperm living that long are slim if you last had sex Friday night. I would use a barrier contraceptive for the next 7 days and leave it two weeks until you test (or a little longer) for the most accurate result

Puffinsareblackandwhite Thu 13-Apr-17 14:16:17

I've got an appointment with the GP this afternoon to see whether I can still get a MAP or similar. I really doubt I'm pregnant but I did mess up contraception. Not used to this as for years couldn't have sex due to medical issues.

Emma2803 Thu 13-Apr-17 14:43:40

They might suggest a copper coil as opposed to either of the two morning after pills. It can also be left in as long term contraception. It will prevent implantation if fertilisation has occurred, they all do with varying extent, but I think coil is most effective. Obviously the Dr will advise you when you go in. Good luck and don't worry it happens to the best of us!!

Puffinsareblackandwhite Thu 13-Apr-17 18:57:44

I thought I'd replied earlier but apparently not. Thanks for your kind words. Doctor was very kind and understanding once she'd realised it wasn't a case of me asking for a MAP 6 days after having unprotected sex... She said there's very little that can be done, but also that the chances of me being PG are minimal, as I am bleeding. She was so nice when I got upset, saying it happens to the best of us. Stupid thing is, we do really want a baby, but not yet. Want to start trying around Christmas, and those 8-9 months make a massive difference in terms of job security, money etc.

Had a chat with DH and he's feeling less annoyed now. I apologised for putting him in this position, which he appreciated, but he also fully understands it was a mistake. We're going to both set alarms on our phones to remind me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now