Talk

Advanced search

Confused.. I was broody, now I'm not, but I know I want kids.

(9 Posts)
Fourbyfour Fri 07-Apr-17 07:55:46

My DH and I ttc for 6 months last year and nothing happened. We took a break from actively trying as it was getting a bit obsessive and I was feeling really upset each month when af arrived.

I then had some changes at work which left me considering a move, so we played it safe and used protection.
After much thinking, I have now decided I will stay in this role as the opportunities are still there and it has a great work life balance.

But - after the time out from trying I'm not broody anymore. Pictures of newborns, little clothing, all the romantic images of having a new baby.. Nothing makes my heart flip at the moment like it did pre-Christmas. I know I absolutely do want a family and its very important to me.

What does this mean? Do we go back to not using protection but not actively trying, just have fun and see what happens? Or does the above mean I'm now not ready?

Theworldisfullofidiots Fri 07-Apr-17 07:57:59

You are over thinking it. Just forget about 'trying' for a while. Have some fun and see what happens.

Fourbyfour Sat 08-Apr-17 20:26:04

Am I over thinking it though? What if I'm not excited to see that bfp when it happens, like I was pre Christmas? I've started to think we could do X holiday and Y holiday first, but I might just be protecting myself from disappointment again.

fluffandsnuff Sat 08-Apr-17 20:34:46

I am pregnant with DC2 and I don't think I've ever been broody- but knew I wanted a family. It worried me through my last pg (and this one as well actually) that it meant I wouldn't connect to my DC, but I have loved DS since I laid eyes on him!

I guess the question is, are you ready to change your lifestyle to have a child? I don't know how old you are so don't know if that's a factor too.

BertieBotts Sat 08-Apr-17 20:42:27

I think the excitement of trying just wears off after a while. We've been TTC for a year now. Was v excited/enthusiastic in first 6 months and had 2 mc. Second 6 months it's just become normal. It's like I can't get excited about it any more. DH has a theory that maybe we need to be excited about conception for it to happen but no matter how much I want to be pregnant I just can't seem to muster it any more!

I think the excitement would kick in when we get a BFP though, and I'm sure it will for you too.

simionminion Sat 08-Apr-17 20:54:43

I never knew broodiness until I'd had my first child, before this, I'm not sure I even liked babies much.

Don't read into it would be my advice x

Fourbyfour Sat 08-Apr-17 22:44:40

Thanks for your reassurance everyone, it's really helpful.

Theworldisfullofidiots Sun 09-Apr-17 11:13:35

I'm was really lucky and conceived first time both times. What I canvas is that when I got pregnant with dd I cried and thought what have I done, I've changed our lives forever (no-one knows that as so many people in real life at that time were trying and trying). I think there is no right way to feel (that's what I meant by overthinking)
By the way I love my two v much and yes it did change our lives (sometimes brilliant sometimes difficult - on balance more brilliant)

Oysterbabe Sun 09-Apr-17 21:15:18

I wasn't fussed at all about babies until I had one. The other day we were watching something on TV and there was a baby. It did that wobbly lip about to cry thing and both DH and I went "awwwwwwww". We've changed 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now