Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

What will the doctor do/suggest? TTC

(8 Posts)
SprinkleTinkle Thu 06-Apr-17 23:52:07

TTC 7 months with no success. Should I go to a doctor (and should I bring DH)? What can they suggest or what will they do? I'm nervous about personal questions regarding our sex lives. DH has delayed ejaculation but we work with it. Will they ask for a sample from him? He hates going to doctor/anything to do with hospitals etc. Dreading itsad

physicskate Fri 07-Apr-17 06:58:17

If you are under 35, the gp will not do anything until you hit the 12 month mark. Over 35, it's 6 months until they might run tests etc..

I've been trying a year, but because I have had two chemical pregnancies in that time they will not run tests or help me. I have to wait another 12 months or until another chemical. I'm 33.

happybus28 Fri 07-Apr-17 07:47:39

I went after trying 8 months and was referred for blood tests and for a ultrasound scan. I think that was only because they suspected I had PCOS though as my cycles were very long and irregular and at that point had had no AF for 3 months. If you are having regular cycles and not experiencing any gyne problems they probably won't do anything until you hit the year mark or as PP said 6 months if you are over 35

Roseandbee Fri 07-Apr-17 18:13:49

Well firstly 7 months is still nothing to worry about. if your doctor is willing to refer you the first steps are likely to be blood tests for you, what they call a day 3 n 21 blood test, to see if your ovulating and a sperm analysis for your oh. If you oh is reluctant u can prob get your blood tests done first.

ForeverHopeful21 Fri 07-Apr-17 18:49:25

I was 31 when I went to the GP (18 months ago). We'd been TTC for 2 years and I wasn't offered any tests ...just patronising advice! GP was honest enough to tell me that funding has changed within the NHS and they're now stricter with offering fertility tests & treatments.
My husband went separately to see the GP (same surgery but different doctor) and he was offered an appointment at the fertility clinic where he had to produce a sperm sample.
Pretty annoying that it totally depends on who your doctor is!! Makes no sense to me that I wasn't offered any tests but my DH was??!?

However, one of my friends (same age as me) went to see her GP after just 8 months of trying and she was sent for all kinds of tests. She was prescribed medication and 2 months later was pregnant. It all happened really fast for her. She admitted that her GP lied for her and wrote that they'd been TTC for 18 months. I'm happy for her, but obviously upset that not all doctors work within the same guidelines.

SprinkleTinkle Fri 07-Apr-17 19:03:03

Thank you for your posts- much appreciated.
DH is over 50 (yes, age gap marriage) so I wonder if they will fast track us.

sunshineandsea Fri 07-Apr-17 19:42:01

I'm 29 and we went to the GP after 10 months, we were honest about how long we had been trying but she was happy to refer us for the initial tests (bloods and scan for me, semen analysis for DH) and will then refer us on to the fertility clinic once we've completed them all. There were no known issues when we went to see her, I think we were just lucky to have such an understanding GP, it does seem to vary hugely!

She asked us about my cycle, had either of us had children before, are we having regular sex - she didn't go into detailed questioning about our sex life! It's a bit weird talking about these things but they're a professional and there to help you, I would say it's worth both of you going together for a chat to see if there's anything they can do, it may be reassuring if nothing else.

Oysterbabe Fri 07-Apr-17 20:19:28

I think it's your age that matters not his. How old are you?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: