Talk

Advanced search

Test results show Chlamydia

(113 Posts)
babymilkmama Wed 05-Apr-17 09:21:08

Good morning,

We have been ttc for almost two years and have started all the tests etc to try and find out more about why we haven't had a baby. My first dc was conceived without even trying three years ago and so we were a bit disappointed as to why we are struggling.

My gp has just called me to say one of my blood results has shown evidence of a previous chlamydia infection and I'm booked in for swabs next week. I'm absolutely devastated and don't know how I'm going to tell my DH! I've never had any symptoms of an sti so must have had it for years and years. It's been five years since I slept with anyone except my husband and it must have caused some massive damage 😢 he's going to hate me and think I'm disgusting. The gp said not all chlamydia is sexually transmitted but looking online it says it is. I don't know what I'm going to say or do 😬

Placeanditspatrons Wed 05-Apr-17 09:35:07

Well he could just as easily have infected you?
Dh gave it to me. We'd been together a while and got engaged and at that point stopped practicing safe sex (stupid really should have both been checked before hand) and as an extra engagement bonus he gave me chlamydia. I'm certain it was that way round as prior to him I'd always used condoms and also I was 'lucky' in that I got symptoms so it was picked up almost immediately.

However I didn't think it resolved without antibiotics so I don't know how you had a previous unknown infection.

babymilkmama Wed 05-Apr-17 09:42:28

He's not slept with anyone else in the five years either. He won't talk about girls before me and says he hasn't slept with anyone till me. It's definitely me. I've literally had no symptoms at all and this test is the first I've heard. I've had a baby in that time too! I have no idea how I'm going to tell him. The gp said wait till Monday when I have swabs because it might be negative. She said chlamydia comes in many forms and is sometimes as simple as a chest infection. At the time of the blood test I had a water infection but she said that didn't show up.

Placeanditspatrons Wed 05-Apr-17 09:45:20

I think it would have been picked up before if it was an sti.

juneau Wed 05-Apr-17 09:48:24

I thought all pregnant women were screened for STIs? I certainly was, both times, because I remember consenting to it. So if you'd had chlamydia during your first pregnancy it should've been picked up by a test then.

babymilkmama Wed 05-Apr-17 09:49:13

Really? I don't know how this has happened. I've never cheated on him and have no idea how it's happened. I'm so scared to tell him. We are approaching fw and he's all up for getting into the April baby making. I can't morally sleep with him knowing I have an sti

BitchPeas Wed 05-Apr-17 09:49:52

Did a positive chlamydia test happen in your first pregnancy? If not then you've caught it since then.

babymilkmama Wed 05-Apr-17 09:50:24

@juneau really? So I've got it sometime between then and now. I've 100% not slept with anyone else in that time. I have no idea how it could have happened.

JellyWitch Wed 05-Apr-17 09:50:25

What the previous poster said. It's automatically screened for so would have been picked up in your first pregnancy.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 05-Apr-17 09:50:41

You would have been checked in your first pregnancy, so it might be recent.

BitchPeas Wed 05-Apr-17 09:50:52

Please stop blaming yourself. It takes two to tango so you have a 50% chance of it not being your fault! Why are you so sure it is?

babymilkmama Wed 05-Apr-17 09:51:43

@bitchpeas no nothing has ever shown up till she called me this morning to tell me. It's impossible though because I've not slept with anyone except DH since meeting him in 2013 and certainly not since having the baby in 2015.

Havingahorridtime Wed 05-Apr-17 09:53:13

The GP said there was evidence of a previous chlamydia infection. He didn't say that there was an active infection. Could it be the tests showed some tube damage which is common in pelvic infections including those caused by chlamydia?
I wouldn't Form any conclusions until I had spoken to the GP and discussed it all properly.

Chevrons Wed 05-Apr-17 09:54:02

Chlamydia is not like a chest infection or caught in lots of ways

It's an STI, transmitted through sexual activity, full stop.

babymilkmama Wed 05-Apr-17 09:54:25

@bitchpeas my DH didn't sleep with me from the moment we found out I was pregnant till we decided to try for another. Even then it was a slow start and he wasn't interested or really trying as much as I was. He's not the sort of person who likes sex at all so it must be something from years and years ago when I was with my previous boyfriend

babymilkmama Wed 05-Apr-17 09:57:05

@chevrons that's what I thought. I thought it was an sti and that was that. I must have got it before meeting my husband about 5yrs ago and it's only started to show up now as previous posters have said I'll have been tested during my pregnancy 3yrs ago (DC born 2015). If I've had it 5yrs or more it must have caused me to be I fertile by now and that's why we haven't conceived.

juneau Wed 05-Apr-17 09:58:51

Get the whole story from the GP first OP as there seems to be confusion here as to when you contracted chlamydia. It can, indeed, cause internal damage, which is why regular screening for STIs is recommended in all sexually active people. Some people show symptoms, others don't, so people don't necessarily know if they've been infected.

babymilkmama Wed 05-Apr-17 10:00:19

@havingahorridtime she said I need to wait for the results of the swabs on Monday before we can love on and decide what to do. She said we can both go and get tested if that's what I want but she advised wait and see.

I have no idea how I missed this. I should have been tested years ago before we slept together that first time. I could have given it to the baby as well as it says online it can be passed on in pregnancy.

Havingahorridtime Wed 05-Apr-17 10:01:00

Am I the only person who has never been tested for chlamydia during Pregnancy? I have 3 children and have never been offered a chlamydia test during any of the pregnancies.

Havingahorridtime Wed 05-Apr-17 10:02:19

If you do have chlamydia or could have come from your DH as men can have it for years without symptoms.

babymilkmama Wed 05-Apr-17 10:02:34

@juneau she tried explaining that it's shown in my bloods that I have evidence of a previous infection and the tests on Monday will show if it's actually an infection. I feel sick with worry. She said I don't have to tell my DH because it might come back negative and that means it's nothing.

juneau Wed 05-Apr-17 10:05:13

Okay - well that's quite reassuring. I would wait for the test results and see what the GP says. And try not to worry - if she said it might be nothing, then it might be nothing.

babymilkmama Wed 05-Apr-17 10:09:45

I honestly can't remember what I was tested for in pregnancy. Except amniocentesis I said yes to everything else but can't remember what all those tests were.

Pibbee Wed 05-Apr-17 10:09:46

You need to speak to your GP again. I don't understand how your blood test can show evidence of a prior infection- surely if you had it and it has cleared, your blood wouldn't show anything?

babymilkmama Wed 05-Apr-17 10:24:30

@pibbee it was an antibody test so I've shown antibodies for chlamydia which suggests at some point I've had it but doesn't necessarily mean I have it right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now