Talk

Advanced search

Could I end up pregnant help?

(24 Posts)
Kittykat789 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:09:10

Hello I'm new to mums net not really sure of this is the right place

My cycle use to be 30-31 days but my last 3, cycles have been around 23-25 days so I'm not really sure when I would have ovulated I hadn't really been keeping track as I wasn't planning a baby I have had sex on cycle days 8,9 and 10 and was wondering if this can result to me falling pregnant? At first I thought it couldn't as I had only finished my period but I have read that if you have a shorter cycle there's a chance you can ovulate as early as day 9 and I had unprotected sex then, what I'm basically asking is there a chance I could end up falling pregnant or could it of been far too early in my cycle?

Thingymaboob Fri 31-Mar-17 15:10:59

It's all guess work at this stage but sperm can live for 6 days so it is possible.

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Fri 31-Mar-17 15:13:20

If your cycle is often 23-25 days then it's quite likely the days you mentioned are when you ovulate, so yes, you could definitely become pregnant.

If that's not what you want and the sex was within the last 5 days you could seek out emergency contraception - an emergency IUD can be inserted up to 5 days after unprotected sex if I remember rightly.

Kittykat789 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:16:18

I wasnt planning another baby for a while as I have a 18 month old already, but if I was to fall pregnant I wouldn't mind I just always thought everyone ovulated at day 14 , and didn't realise shorter the cycles the earlier u ovulated thank you for the advice x

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Fri 31-Mar-17 15:22:19

Hard to say but there's always a chance if you are not using any contraception depending on when your ovulated. If the cervical conditions are right, sperm can live for several days. STDS would also be a concern so you should get tested.

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Fri 31-Mar-17 15:23:38

Even if you ovulated on day 14 you could get pregnant having unprotected sex on day 10! But if you don't want to actively try, then you definitely need to start either using some protection or figuring out your cycle a bit more closely - you could be ovulating right after your period, even.

Kittykat789 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:24:36

I had unprotected sex with my partner not a stranger I'm definitely sure I don't have any STDS! I'm probably just worrying over nothing x

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Fri 31-Mar-17 15:24:54

Sorry, just saw your update. Presumably you are with a partner so STDS probably not an issue.

Kittykat789 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:27:40

And no I'm not actively trying but if I was to become pregnant It wouldn't be a bad thing I was just wondering the chances I could be as I didn't realise u ovulated early in short cycles x

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Fri 31-Mar-17 15:27:51

grin X post again Op flowers

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Fri 31-Mar-17 15:32:59

You need to figure out your luteal phase (time between ovulation and first day of your period). Unfortunately, it can be harder to suss if you have irregular periods. Have you tried ovulation kits or mucous monitoring?

Kittykat789 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:35:36

No I have never tried ovulation tests and can I ask what a luteal phase is sorry if I sound really stupid I have no clue x

CreamCheez Fri 31-Mar-17 15:41:24

I haven't really been tracking anything except my period dates. Sometimes 21 days / sometimes 28 days. I took my ovulation / luteal phase to be anywhere in between. Not pinpointing exact days, if you know what I mean... Appears now I'm pregnant.

Kittykat789 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:43:45

Congratulations! And I just searched it up my normal luteal phase is 13-14 days not really sure what that means though?x

CreamCheez Fri 31-Mar-17 15:46:52

Me too! Always thought that you counted from your period to ovulation. But I think it might be from ovulation to your next period... Not sure really!

Kittykat789 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:52:15

I guess I have a chance I could be guess I'm joining the 2ww! And hope ur pregnancy all goes wellsmile

CwtchMeQuick Fri 31-Mar-17 15:54:37

The luteal phase is the time between ovulation and the start of your next period. It's pretty much always around 14 days long so when cycle lengths vary it's the follicular phase that varies in length (time between start of menstruation and ovulation). So if your cycle is around 25 days you'll probably ovulate at day 11.

Kittykat789 Fri 31-Mar-17 16:00:59

And my cycle currently is 24 so that must of ment i ovulated on day 10?

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Fri 31-Mar-17 16:23:29

That's likely but not guaranteed. Technically you can ovulate at any point in your cycle, and some women experience a short luteal phase which can cause problems for fertility.

If you want to figure out more definitely when you ovulated you can use ovulation predictor tests, chart your temps, or learn to monitor your mucus.

Kittykat789 Fri 31-Mar-17 16:38:24

I know my luteal phase is 13-14 days as it always has been so I don't think it's called as short? And ok I don't really know any of this as I never planned my first child either thank you for the advice

SwimmingMom Fri 31-Mar-17 18:10:30

I've got pregnant after unprotected sex on day 7. Was quite surprising, but considering that we were trying it was great. DH was travelling after that for the rest of the fertile period so didn't have high hopes that month as we couldn't try again in that month. It's very much possible! grin

Kittykat789 Fri 31-Mar-17 22:02:18

7th day? That's so early do you have short cycles too?x

SwimmingMom Sat 01-Apr-17 14:51:44

No I have 28 day cycles. But the sperm can survive a few days & you could ovulate early in the cycle, not necessarily in the middle. On the other extreme, I had DD2 when we tried on day 18 (the only time in that cycle due to DH travelling). grin I must be an anomaly!!

Kittykat789 Sat 01-Apr-17 15:24:26

I guess I'll just have to wait and see didn't really symptom spot with my first as he wasn't planned so not really sure what to look out for this time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now