Talk

Advanced search

Fertility diets

(8 Posts)
bassetmum Fri 31-Mar-17 11:54:59

Does or has anyone tried changing their diets to be more fertility friendly? Or have any good ideas for healthy filing lunches to have at work?

I am on cycle 8 ttc my first and although I am a healthy weight and BMI I do eat a lot of processed and sugary food. Just wondering whether making better choices to eat healthier will help.

Hippychic79 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:11:25

Hi Basset - I'm big on eating healthily .... that's not to say that I always stick to it... of course I eat sweets, chocolate, ice cream, crisps etc.... but i am really interested in how foods can aid healing. anyway with rambling on too much, i have been changing my diet over the last few weeks in line with advice that I've taken from a book written by emma cannon called total fertility. she outlines which foods to eat in which part of your cycle and tells you what to eat more of depending on what conditions you may have.

the book includes recipes and really good all round information ref ttc from exercise to meditation and mindfullness - definitely worth a read.

xxxx

Hippychic79 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:11:56

*meant to say without rambling on too much

fuzzywuzzy Fri 31-Mar-17 13:14:38

I tried this, sort of, I didn't cut out stuff, just reduced refined sugar and upped iron rich foods (as I am prone to anaemia).

I found a website that suggested all sorts, but I didn't stick to it religiously I included some things, and cut down on stuff just to be overall more healthy.

CinnamonSwirlGirl85 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:37:25

Hi Basset - DH and I did this before we conceived DS. We'd been struggling for a while and were getting ready for IVF. Neither of us were overweight, smoked or drank a lot, but my eggs weren't great and DH's sperm was poor, so we had a massive diet overhaul (although I did still have a few treats!!).

In general, I started eating more leafy salads with salmon/chicken for lunch and tried to cut back on caffeine and sugar (my two favourite things in life!). DH started eating more salady-type things, good quality meat/fish (and less red meat), more nuts (he started taking a little pot of nuts into work each day!) and he also started taking those Wellman fertility for men tablets. He also massively cut down on drinking, but for special occasions (he was never a massive drinker, but he'd enjoy a beer or two on a Friday night). For dinner we'd also try to have plenty of fresh veggies and fish and a good "range" of things (i.e. less "beige").

About 6 months later we conceived DS. Obviously, we'll never know whether the change of diet helped or whether it was always going to happen. We're now TTC No2 and are re-starting the fertility diet (urrrgghhhhh grin).

I know it feels like forever, and I was tearing my hair out at 8 months, but it's actually still quite early in TTC terms. By changing your diet, along with trying to get sleep, exercise & generally be as healthy as possible, you're giving yourself the best shot. I hope you get your BFP soon smile.

littlemimosa Fri 31-Mar-17 13:44:00

I do eat a lot of processed and sugary food.
If I were you I'd be cutting right back on this replacing it with lots of good quality wild fish and free-range, organic meats/eggs and lots and lots of vegetables, some fruit and good, whole unprocessed grains.
So loads of green leafy veggies, cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauli etc) sweet potatoes and squash, carrots etc. Also unprocessed free range meats ie beef, lamb, chicken, Liver (if you can stomach it) turkey etc and eggs. Oily fish is very important for fertility so mackerel, salmon, sardines etc about twice a week.
I'm a massive believer in diet having a positive effect on general health and indeed all bodily functions including fertility.
I'm 40 and ttc #3 and eat like this 90% of the time. It's easy once you get into it. There's loads of info online if you search 'fertility and nutrition' you'll be bombarded but look around and weed out the rubbishy sites.
Oh one more thing, are you taking a pre natal supplement cos I'd think you'd probably need one if you're eating a lot of processed food? I guess you prob are....

bassetmum Fri 31-Mar-17 13:48:32

Yes i am taking a pre conception vitamin have been since last August. That first post did make it sound like I ate all processed food and I don't. I will probably cook a meal from scratch 3-4 times a week. Now the spring is here i am planning on having salads for lunch. I do have between 4-6 pieces of fruit and veg a day (at least in the week). I am trying to drink 2l of water a day too. I have cut my cups of tea and coffee down already too.

How did you get your oh eating better?? Mine is a nightmare and doesnt like most vegetables. Oh hippy i bought that book yesterday and just started reading it.

CinnamonSwirlGirl85 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:59:07

Your diet really doesn't sound too bad, certainly compared to many. 4-6 pieces of fruit and veg a day is pretty good going!

I think I was really lucky as DH didn't kick up a fuss and was very proactive. I think he felt bad that he was "letting me down" by having poor sperm (obviously I didn't think that at all), so he wanted to do what he could to change things. It's hard. I guess any small step your OH can make is a good thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now