We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

OPK = BFP

(10 Posts)
DorisDaisy25 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:16:03

Okay so TTC #2 currently CD 19
Usually opk shows absolutely no line when not ovulating. Ovulated as normal did the deed etc and had blank lines from around 24th/25th this month.
Did an opk for no reason whatsoever and I have a noticeable second line.
Am I being over confident or can it indicate a BFP??

Polly99 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:22:33

It can. HCG and LH are similar on a molecular level, so sometimes an OPK will detect pregnancy.
But OPKs are designed to give a positive when there is a high level of hormone (it is testing for a surge) while HPTs pick up very small amounts of HCG (as any HCG = pregnant). So an OPK isn't likely to detect pregnancy until quite a few days after ovulation.
In your case I would think it is much too soon for any test to be positive. If I would have to guess, If say you didn't ovulate before and your body is having another go.

DorisDaisy25 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:18:49

Thanks so much.
Il carry on taking opks next few days see what happens I think!

Bubblegum89 Thu 30-Mar-17 22:09:54

I ov'd last Tuesday and got a fresh batch of cheapie OPK's delivered on Monday and I was bored last night and pee'd on one. A very faint second line came up. BUT you always have some level of LH present in your urine. Same as you, I've often had times where no second line has ever appeared which usually happens about a week or so after ovulation. I've read about women using OPK's as pregnancy tests before but from what I've seen, the second line usually comes up very dark, like a positive OPK, if there is hcg present. I would say that it's most likely picked up on the small amount of LH in your system

NaturWilde Fri 31-Mar-17 05:58:41

As Bubble said, the OPK needs to be positive to show a pregnancy - as in, the test line sgiould be as dark as/darker than the control line.

Simply another line means it's detecting the normal amount of LH present at any point in a cycle.

An OPK picked up my pregnancy at 12dpo, the test line was super dark!

Kept going, could still be your month!

Redpony1 Fri 31-Mar-17 12:41:56

I had a positive OPK the day before AF - apparently you get an LH surge before AF too sad

Writerwannabe83 Sat 01-Apr-17 08:25:13

I've been pregnant three times and each time I tested with an OPK on the day my period was due and got a really strong line each time.

You say you had an obvious line but is it the same strength as the control line?

When I got my strong OPK results I then went out and bought pregnancy tests and got a positive each time albeit the lines were very faint.

Can you attach a photo of your OPK?

Writerwannabe83 Sat 01-Apr-17 08:42:46

This was my positive OPK on the day my period was due if it helps...

I was about 14dpo.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 01-Apr-17 09:02:44

If you are only CD19 and only 6/7 days post ovulation then I think it's highly unlikely a pregnancy is being detected.

As another poster said we can have LH in our systems at any time so your OPK may just be detecting that.

Or it may be that you didn't ovulated when you got your last surge and your body is preparing to try again?

As a general rule I think Opks can only detect HCG when it's at a high level to trigger a BFP on a pregnancy test too.

I remember last October I got my positive OPK on CD18 which was normal for me and then randomly a week later I got another really strong positive. I was in the process of cutting down breast feeding my DS so I think my hormones were all over the place and probably caused it.

Good luck on your TTC journey.

DorisDaisy25 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:31:29

Thanks for all your advise ladies
OPK went in the bin but no it wasn't as strong as the control line.
I'm gonna wait it out, test day is the 8th so we'll see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now