Talk

Advanced search

How on earth do you check your cervix

(28 Posts)
BlueSpottyTiger Wed 29-Mar-17 15:53:49

The very thought of that makes me cringe but how do you do it? how do you know what your looking for?
I'm not really sure its for me but im intrigued!

xStefx Wed 29-Mar-17 15:54:53

No idea but always wondered so ill keep an eye on this thread OP :-)

dementedpixie Wed 29-Mar-17 15:56:48

Why do you want to check it?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 29-Mar-17 15:56:55

Use your finger like you would a tampon!! You will feel your cervix when you get there!! blush

Ohyesiam Wed 29-Mar-17 16:08:44

Do you mean visually, Or with your fingers? What is it you are looking for?

If you need to see it, you need two (warm) spoons, and a partner with a head torch, and a descriptive turn of phrase.

BlueSpottyTiger Wed 29-Mar-17 16:30:25

No i dont need to check it lol
but i often see alot of threads which mention the way the cervix feels ... and i dont know how or why you need to check it.
I'm just wondering!

Ohyesiam Wed 29-Mar-17 16:33:13

Ok, so maybe you should do a thread called Why check your cervix.?

girlandboy Wed 29-Mar-17 16:36:29

I've had the odd go at feeling it, just because other women have said they can.
But mine is just too far away! And I've got long fingers too!! confused

Midwives and nurses have commented on how high mine is, so I gave up the search grin

goldielocks29 Wed 29-Mar-17 16:55:17

OP, some people check their cervix as it can indicate where you are in your cycle depending on how high/low and firm/soft it feels

BlueSpottyTiger Wed 29-Mar-17 17:20:32

girlandboy oh really! Mine must be in reaching distance as the midwife 'pulled it down' or something along them lines when i was being induced with the pessary..gulp!

goldilocks ah right i see, thanks! smile

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Wed 29-Mar-17 17:22:47

You just stick a finger up in there. When you've done it at a few different times in your cycle you can feel whether it is soft and open, or firm and closed, and whether it is higher or lower.

shinynewusername Wed 29-Mar-17 17:23:37

It feels like the tip of your nose, if that helps smile

WantToGoingTo Wed 29-Mar-17 17:47:40

I do this religiously! Don't know if it tells me much but makes me feel like I'm doing something. Think you have to do it every day to notice a pattern.

So basically you put your finger up there till it won't go any further and your cervix is at a bit of an angle. It feels like a button a bit with a hole in the middle.

When you are on your period it should be low (easy to reach), hard (like top of nose) and open (can feel hole in middle). When you ov it will be high, hard and open. If you are pregnant theory is it will be high, soft (like pursed lips) and closed. Soft because it swells with blood and closed because mucus plug forms.

That's the theory anyway, happy cervix checking!

WantToGoingTo Wed 29-Mar-17 17:48:58

Also I find mind changes during the day so I try to do it at the same time every day

BlueSpottyTiger Thu 30-Mar-17 12:56:42

Thanks ladies! 🖒
Very informative want smile x

olicat Thu 30-Mar-17 13:29:14

girlandboy me too, no way of reaching mine except with a maximum length speculum according to my smear nurse!

Sazwest Thu 30-Mar-17 14:07:48

I've always wondered this. I tried checking before but didn't have a clue what I was doing x

RoseGoldHippie Thu 30-Mar-17 16:12:06

I have no idea what I'm looking for don't think I've ever felt it tbh think it must be too high x

Loopyaslola Fri 31-Mar-17 09:28:19

Want very informative. I've always wondered this too. May have a go as I haven't the foggiest what my body is doing atm

Funnyonion17 Fri 31-Mar-17 09:36:29

I checked mine throughout labour! Strict hand hygeine and my waters were intact so it was fine. It literally saved me birthing I'm the hospital car park as they refused to examine me and was sending me home at 10cm.

For conception reasons I'm not sure it's worth it tbh op. I tried it but it's not a clear indicator.

isambardo Fri 31-Mar-17 10:49:30

I checked mine in late pregnancy too. With dc2 I knew I was 4cm (ish) dilated before I went in to labour, so I knew to expect a fast birth. I think it's useful to get to know your cervix. Vital to be extremely hygienic though!

Loopyaslola Fri 31-Mar-17 12:40:32

If the cervix is so high you can only just reach the tip would that be classed as high or medium?

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Fri 31-Mar-17 14:06:35

I'm not sure there's a formal classification system, lola grin

For you it's more interesting/sometimes helpful to understand where your cervix tends to be in different parts of your cycle, so it's your personal high/low/medium in comparison to the rest of the month. And if you do have a very high cervix it affects some medical procedures like smear or coil insertion, but not seriously - just means they need to use the longer implements etc.

WantToGoingTo Fri 31-Mar-17 14:36:57

What under said - its all relative to your cervix position at other times in your cycle

Loopyaslola Sat 01-Apr-17 13:04:14

Thanks I checked yesterday and compared I'd say it was medium. This morning it was high and an hr later medium again and I've bled again. It's all very confusing. I'll keep checking often but as for what it means it's trial and error

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now