Talk

Advanced search

Coming off cerelle - would dtd in final days count as unprotected??

(5 Posts)
SquashyMummy Sat 25-Mar-17 23:30:19

I'm planning to come off cerelle in a couple of weeks time and use other protection until we start TTC in the summer. Stupid question - but would DTD in the final days of pill count as unprotected sex? i.e. when should we start using other precautions given sperm can stay alive a few days? I feel very ignorant about the biology of it! TIA

Emma2803 Sun 26-Mar-17 00:46:16

Hi Squashy. No this wouldn't count as unprotected sex. The mini pill causes the formation if a thick cervical mucous which prevents the sperm getting into the uterus and by the time progestogen levels drop enough for the mucous to thin and allow the sperm to enter any sperm still there would be dead as they don't like the pH.

SquashyMummy Sun 26-Mar-17 10:04:40

Thanks Emma, that's put my mind at rest smile

Emma2803 Sun 26-Mar-17 10:23:29

No problem. Also it can take a while for your period to return after stopping. I took my last cerazette which is the same as cerelle on the 12th February and my period just came on Wed past (22nd March) though I did have a bit of spotting a few days after stopping. We also used other protection and gonna start trying this cycle

SquashyMummy Sun 26-Mar-17 20:32:16

Good luck, hope you get a BFP soon 😁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now