Talk

Advanced search

Doing handstands after sex to improve the chances of conceiving - is it worth doing?

(16 Posts)
AConceptionQuestion Tue 21-Mar-17 15:20:48

The theory goes that doing handstands helps the sperm get to where it needs to go and do what it needs to do. Gravity and all that. I usually just lie down but I am seriously thinking of giving handstanding a try. Is there any evidence that it actually works? How long are you supposed to remain in a handstand for? Would 10 minutes be enough?

Chamonix1 Tue 21-Mar-17 15:23:35

No

RoseGoldHippie Tue 21-Mar-17 15:25:01

Loads of research - all says no. Haha I considered it too grin

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 21-Mar-17 15:25:39

Sperm travels at 40 mph to where it needs to be. . You attempting Olga Corbett's finest hour won't make any difference!

Bythebeach Tue 21-Mar-17 15:26:45

This made me giggle! I did elevate my bum with pillows after DTD when trying to conceive DC2 and he was conceived the first month. Stayed bum up for maybe 20 mins! But DC1 was a one-time-no-contraception accident and DC3 also conceived first month so I'm not sure what my anecdote tells you! No harm in giving it a trying if you can do handstands safely!!

Shamoffour Tue 21-Mar-17 15:26:50

Ha I couldn't manage 10 seconds! I did however used to put my legs up the wall and a cushion under my bum after dtd when we trying to conceive.

inmyshoos Tue 21-Mar-17 15:46:59

I think no. But i do think lying down with a pillow under your bum is fairly common. My thoughts are that it can't do any harm however i do wonder if the sperm are such poor quality that they require gravity to travel then how successful is it going to be further down the line if the sperm actually penetrates the egg, it may mean unneccessary heartache. But i know the heartache of ttc and also the lengths us ladies go to.

Yaz879 Tue 21-Mar-17 15:51:29

Just buy pregnacare before conception pills and it adds to fertility and sorts or gets your body ready etc, I caught within a month of using, read the reviews, one woman had been trying for years to conceive and couldn't, she tried pregnacare and got pregnant in under 3 month. About £10 at boots, superdrug etc, 30 tablets per pack

Sazwest Tue 21-Mar-17 15:59:18

Yeh I got told by my doctor that doing it doggy makes it go further (and also gives u a boy) xx

Misssmoo Tue 21-Mar-17 18:03:24

I also done the bun lifting and worked that month hahah x

zzzzz Tue 21-Mar-17 18:06:14

I think an orgasm is more likely to help.

Soubriquet Tue 21-Mar-17 18:07:32

I did it..sort of

Just laid on the bed with my bum raised by cushions and my feet on the wall.

Also made sure I orgasmed too

Worked with both but probably a coincidence

SugarLoveHeart Tue 21-Mar-17 18:12:52

Are you seri about Pregnacare? I thought it was just a multivitamin. Started taking it recently!
Have been lying down with my legs elevated, just to make sure nothing spills back out. Handstands, no...

SugarLoveHeart Tue 21-Mar-17 18:13:17

Serious

Brighteyes27 Tue 21-Mar-17 18:20:08

I found out I had a tilted cervix or something so nearly always do it with a pillow under bum. When trying to conceive I sometimes used another pillow and put my legs up. Don't know whether it made any difference. But after trying for ages we eventually ended up with two kids and I felt I was doing all I could as an older parent trying to conceive. Had my first at 38 and second at 39. Good luck op.

MulderitsmeX Tue 21-Mar-17 18:30:19

I have been using soft cups after sex, it holds the sperm near your cervix.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now