Could i be pregnant...?

(11 Posts)
MsMarvel Mon 20-Mar-17 18:19:36

I know I know, no one can tell me whether I am or not, but it hasn't even crossed my mind until dp mentioned it as a possibility and now I'm now sure. But also don't want to spend money on a test because I thinks it would be pretty impossible to be.

Around a month ago I got my 5 year copper coil removed (had reached its 5 years) and got another one fitted.

Stupidly I hadn't realised that you aren't meant to have sex for 7 days before getting it changed, nurse wasn't overly happy doing it in case she couldn't get the second one fitted, which would leave the sex I had unprotected.

There was a bit of hassle getting the second one fitted (tried to fit a 10year on but it didn't fit, finally got another 5 year one fitted)

So all covered as far as I'm aware. And I had a period as expected a few days later.

But since then I've had a slightly dodgy tummy, have piled on weight despite being careful with eating and excercising, and been very overly emotional. Been very 'fuzzy headed' for the last week or so, making silly mistakes at work etc.

Hadn't thought much about the above other than vague interest in what is causing it. Then dp mentioned whether I could be pregnant.

But surely not given the fact that I have pretty solid contraception, and did have my period?? Although could the period have been to do with the coil being fitted? Does that even happen? Surly the window of maybe 5 mins with no coil in place wouldn't be enough for a few days old sperm to have succeeded...?

GeorgiePeachie Mon 20-Mar-17 18:21:38

No one can say unless you took a test. But arn't there usually this kind of symptom when you get them fitted anyway...? Do you remember similar feelings when you got the first one?

MsMarvel Mon 20-Mar-17 18:26:49

I remember being really cramps after getting the first one fitted, but nothing else.

Hormones going crazy and weight gain should be connected though as far as I'm aware, as its non-hormonal contraception, but could be wrong on this.

AmyC86 Mon 20-Mar-17 18:28:40

Do you know if your old coil was hormone free or not? And the same for the new one.

Failing that, get a test done, it's the only way you'll know.

KindDogsTail Mon 20-Mar-17 18:33:08

If it wasn't the Mirena coil, you should not be having hormonal effects.

Why not do the pregnancy test to put your mind at rest?

www.dred.com/uk/intrauterine-contraception.html

MsMarvel Mon 20-Mar-17 18:36:57

Both coils were non hormonal.

It just seems crazy that although yes there is technically a window for sperm to have access to the right area without any cotraception, its literally a window of a few minutes. It seems so far fetched that this could be anything.

I got the coil fitted on the 2nd of this month, is it maybe a bit soon for a test to show anything, or for there to even be symptoms?

bigredboat Mon 20-Mar-17 18:38:21

You can buy pregnancy tests in the pound shop

KindDogsTail Mon 20-Mar-17 18:41:27

I think I saw in that link that it says that fitting the copper coil within 5 days of intercourse can work like the morning after pill. So it seems unlikely to me that you would be pregnant, but I am absolutely no expert on this.

MsMarvel Mon 20-Mar-17 19:01:05

I'm on my way to asda just now to get stuff for dinner so will get a test to put myself out of my misery. I'm pretty sure I can't be but it'll annoy me until I see the negative test.

heateallthebuns Mon 20-Mar-17 19:20:10

Well my sister got pregnant with a coil, how reliable are they supposed to be?

MsMarvel Mon 20-Mar-17 22:02:24

They are apparently over 99% effective.

Asda only had first response tests at £8.35 for one, so left it.

I'm really unsure whether it would be too early anyway, assuming it happened on the 2nd of this month. But then if it would he too early to test, surely it would be too early for any symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now