Talk

Advanced search

Very late period, but test is negative - what's going on?!

(10 Posts)
pinotnoirismyjam Mon 20-Mar-17 13:40:15

My period is now 11 days late (!) when it is normally extremely regular and even when a day or two late with the full flow I've had spotting/traces of blood. This month I got the usual PMS-y build-up, but not even a hint of a period. 2 pregnancy tests (one at 7 days late and one at 10 days late) have been negative so far.

Have I been testing too early? Is this normal/possible? My period has never been anywhere near this late before!

joystir59 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:47:14

Sometimes its just stress delaying your period, especially stress at the time you would have been due to ovulate.

pinotnoirismyjam Mon 20-Mar-17 13:59:22

I was wondering that, but I've worked a high-stress job for years, and specific extra-stressful events have only ever caused the aforementioned day or two of lateness. I have never, ever been anywhere close to this late - i'm normally a couple of days early!

bigcakes Mon 20-Mar-17 14:31:44

Exactly the same thing is happening with me! I'm never late and now nearly five days but two negative tests. Ive had all the usual PMT symptoms - bloating, cramps, spotty, narky etc but no period. We are trying to get pregnant and Ive had one ectopic in the past, plus healthy baby five years ago. Im scared that my ovaries are packing up!

haveacupoftea Mon 20-Mar-17 21:35:12

This question pops up daily on here and its usually:

1. Just a late or absent period (this is often hard to accept for people who havent had late or absent periods before but it is still the most frequent cause)
2. Infection such as thrush which can delay a period (infections can be symptomless)
3. Anxiety over TTC delaying period
4. Extremely rarely, a very late bfp.

Fayemay27 Mon 20-Mar-17 22:23:32

@pinotnoirismyjam I'm in exactly the same boat. I'm 11 days late now and have tested three times-all bfn. It's the most frustrating thing.

I've resigned myself to the fact that it's a missed period which people get and I'm back to dtd as this is usually the start of my fw.

ReturnofSaturn Mon 20-Mar-17 23:53:08

Im in the same boat, happy to accept its just an anomaly month.
This doesnt TTC this next month though does it?

ReturnofSaturn Mon 20-Mar-17 23:55:08

Doesnt affect

bigcakes Tue 21-Mar-17 09:26:22

I think I'm just a bit scared because its hasn't happened before and with my age I'm worried that its a sign things aren't working properly now. Ive only got one Fallopian tube too following an earlier ectopic so I always worry that the same will occur again.
As @returnofsaturn says though, even if this period doesn't show, will it impact on TTC next month? It must be more tricky to work out when you should be ovulating?

pinotnoirismyjam Tue 21-Mar-17 13:31:08

We're not actively TTC, so I will hope my period will eventually show up... I hope it does soon - i'm crampy, bloated and miserable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now