Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Any teachers on here? Need advice!

(14 Posts)
BabyKangaroo90 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:39:49

Hi everyone,

I'm a teacher and am looking at making a tough decision. Do I make the heartbreaking decision to leave the school I love even though it's becoming tougher and tougher and without recruiting more children we face closing (we are safe for next year) or do I leave and make the equally heartbreaking decision to put off ttc for at least a year and start again in a new school?

Help?! I know you can't make my decision for me but some friendly advice please as my OH is just what you think is right or do what will make you happy. Lovely and supportive but not helpful x

mrsbarnettsbaby Sun 19-Mar-17 17:49:19

How old are you? How long have you been trying? How likely are you to get pg in next year. It may be worth looking now otherwise you could lose maternity benefits, which are quite good for teachers. Are there any jobs you could apply for now?

physicskate Sun 19-Mar-17 17:54:00

TTC cannot be planned. Carry on your life plan and ignore the ttc factor. For instance, I just started at a new job and two weeks in had a positive pregnancy test. There I was thinking, "oh crap, I will be screwed on maternity pay". And then it turned into a chemical...

So what I'm saying is that only so much in the future can be planned... and ttc can take awhile.

Smurf123 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:56:08

I left the school I loved because I was a sub and could only be kept on as a full time sub again for a third year running .... I left because I got offered a permanent teaching job abroad (in the country my husband is from and where all of his family live!) .... we lived there for a year we moved back to we were living and I would do anything to be back teaching in that wee school again - even as a sub! It wasn't just work to me it was somewhere I loved it was like being part of a family ..
I'm still a sub now and I'm now in another school I actually really enjoy teaching in and the staff are lovely but I'd still jump at the chance to go back to the other one full time! Without a second thought.
Although I have decided life's too short for me to keep putting off ttc until I have a permanent teaching post .. in NI they are incredibly difficult to come by... so I'm not actively trying or going out of our way to try but we aren't preventing and if it happens we will be delighted!
Not sure this helps you much but maybe it might:-)

Smurf123 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:58:49

For us we have been unfortunately had 2 miscarriages in the past year with no explanations as to why or cause.... so I second physics it can take a while and can't always be planned

BabyKangaroo90 Sun 19-Mar-17 18:01:07

Mrs Barnett I'm 26 and we have been ttc (sort of) since august last year. I say sort of as we stopped using contraception but carried on as normal. Last month we decided to start trying properly but then held off because of all this. I'm worried about starting a new job and then having to say ermmm I'm pregnant now! X

Mummymathsteacher Sun 19-Mar-17 18:08:05

Another vote for TTC regardless of job. Is staying out of finding a new job more stressful?

mrsbarnettsbaby Sun 19-Mar-17 18:15:44

In your situation I think I would stay put and start TTC now. I'm sure you won't be trying long. You're only 26. But it will be fine either way. As others have said we can't put life on hold when TTC. Good Luck.

Smartiepants79 Sun 19-Mar-17 18:25:11

How available are jobs where you are? What kind of work do you envisage when you eventually return from maternity leave? Part time?
26 is fairly young so you have time on your side. I stayed in my job because I knew they'd be open to part time working and I knew the ethos was very supportive of family life and life/work balance.
If you truly feel you are likely to be out of work in 12 months anyway I'd be looking at what other work is around and see if anything takes my fancy.
If I was you I'd proably be waiting but then I didn't feel a great urge to have children before I was 30!

Wiggleyfingers Sun 19-Mar-17 19:13:23


There is a really useful guide here which will tell you exactly what you will be entitled to in different scenarios:

What are you reasons for wanting to leave your current position? If it is just because of the uncertainty of future, I would be tempted to stay and ttc. Like PP said, anything can happen and maybe there's a chance that you could get more funding that enables your school to stay open? Changing jobs in our profession is such a huge deal and I don't think I would want to do that as well as the stressful ttc process. But I can see why you're concerned. My school recently went through a reshuffle and some teachers were at risk of losing their jobs, in our situation the council offered to put them into a 'pool' where any schools in the local area were encouraged to employ them first before advertising or interviewing anyone else.

Best of luck for whatever you decide smile

MrsBartlettforthewin Sun 19-Mar-17 19:27:38

Hi OP with my first DC I'd only been at the school a half term when I found out I was pregnant. It didn't screw up my mat benefits which I was worried it would. Check the burgundy book to see what it says about your rights. I think you'll find that it won't affect your rights if you get pregnant quickly after starting a new school as you'll meet the minimum amount of time to have been with them.

Also don't let TTC dictate the rest of your choices. Took use almost 2 years to fall pregnant with DC1 and carrying on as normal with everything else in my life was all that kept me sane.

BabyKangaroo90 Sun 19-Mar-17 20:10:10

My decision to possibly leave is based on the uncertainty of the future of the school, if we don't start getting a higher intake for reception this could sadly do it. Also next year I will be teaching mixed reception/year 1/Year 2 altogether with just 1 TA. I know it is possible as others do it but they have more TA support. I've worked in Year 1 and 2 before but not reception. It's also the fact that so many of the staff I started with are leaving for various reasons.

I really don't want to put off ttc anymore. We have worked so hard to get into the financial position we are in now and it feels like the right time. I just don't know how stressful moving jobs will be as this is the first school I've worked in and have been here for 4 years.

Just so stuck as to what decision to make! I love my school and it's a gamble moving as I may move to a school that I don't like but if I stay then it could be extremely hard work. I don't shy away from hard work but when I tell others what I'm doing next year they think I'm mad! X

Fredthefrog Mon 20-Mar-17 07:06:40

It sounds like you are ready for change both in a job and familywise. I would look to move jobs in your situation but ultimately it is up to you. If it takes time to conceive you could feel stuck at that school and then be in the more stressful position of having to find a new job and being pregnant/have a small baby. Good luck

BabyKangaroo90 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:08:58

Thanks for all the advice! I have decided we are going to carry on as normal while I look for a job. If I happen to fall pregnant I will stay where I am. If I find my dream job post we will wait to ttc smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: