Talk

Advanced search

Should I come off the pill???

(10 Posts)
Samantha8892 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:08:55

Hi Guys, I'm new to all this! Just want some advice. Me and my OH have decided we are ready for a baby. We have a holiday in June so, have decided to start ttc after then. I have already started taking my folic acid. After looking at other threads I have realised it can take a while to get periods back to normal.

Should I come off the pill now and just be careful until June? smile

bluebannana Sun 19-Mar-17 14:17:37

Everyones different, It took me a few cycles to get back to normal but 12 months on still not pregnant. My friend came off thinking it wouldn't happen for a few months and got pregnant straight away. How do you and your OH feel about condoms for a couple of months? Would it be a disaster if you got pregnant before you holiday?

Rainshowers Sun 19-Mar-17 14:22:07

First time round I got pregnant after coming off the pill without even having a period so just beware that it can happen and take the necessary precautions!

SilverLilly Sun 19-Mar-17 14:23:27

I came off the pill a few weeks ago ready to start TTC in June. I have no idea how long it will take to get back to normal after 12 years on the pill. I'm not looking forward to normal periods though.

Emma2803 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:42:15

I would say yes but use condoms until June as it can take a while for cycles to settle. I got pregnant with my son in my second cycle off the pill but they still weren't back to normal then

ppleasebob Sun 19-Mar-17 14:43:56

Both times I stopped the pill, I fell pregnant straight away! Maybe stop but use condoms until you're ready?

Samantha8892 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:44:39

Yes condoms could be an option! No it wouldn't be a big disaster.. and he is already looking at a bigger car for us as they do haha! No I'm not either don't think I've had a real one for 6 years! Thanks for your replys xxx

purplek1tty Sun 19-Mar-17 20:06:43

I'm came off the pill in April 2016 and my cycles are still messed up and frankly, it has been a nightmare. I would advise anyone wanting to ttc to come off the pill as soon as you've made the decision to ttc, even if you use condoms for a few months. Good luck!

Samantha8892 Sun 19-Mar-17 20:25:49

Thank you, you have made our minds up! Good luck purplek1tty xx

TurquoiseDress Sun 19-Mar-17 20:32:18

Hi OP

Yes, if it was me, I would just come off the pill now.

There's no way of telling how long it will take for your periods to settle or for you to conceive.

I have twice fallen pregnant just a couple of weeks after coming off the pill, never had a real period just the withdrawal bleed.

The first time was after almost 15 years on the combined pill! and I was almost 35 at the time.

Last year the same happened too, which I couldn't quite believe our luck- sadly it ended in MMC and we are on around cycle 9 now with now whiff of a BFP.

The worst that can happen is that you fall pregnant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now