Talk

Advanced search

antibiotics in very early pregnancy!? help

(13 Posts)
Tattybogle89 Sun 19-Mar-17 09:04:21

Hi last period 13 Feb. BFP in the last few days and very excited.
Gutted though I have a urine infection and possible kidney infection and was prescribed cefalexin last night which I have started taking and feeling relief already.. But I will now worry forever. I know they told me its safe to take in pregnancy but I cant shake the feeling I'm.getting my pregnancy off to a bad start sad. I've already overhauled my diet and drinking lots of water and now this. I do have anxiety and am such a worrier..
During my first pregnancy I didn't even take paracetamol til i was in full blown labour.
I've found links online saying its category B and not A.. And that there could be higher risk of birth abnormalities etc.
Anyone want to chat blush. Xx

Novinosincebambino Sun 19-Mar-17 09:09:20

Hi Tatty, try not to worry, the risk of a kidney infection is worse than the antibiotics - they weigh up the risks so you will be fine. I found out at 5 weeks pregnant I had a kidney infection while abroad (doctor called me with test results) and it was 5 days before I got any treatment. I had a miscarriage a few weeks later and I do wonder if I'd had the antibiotics sooner if that would have made a difference. Just look after yourself and try not to stress. You're doing all the right things.

cudbywestrangers Sun 19-Mar-17 09:19:55

Cefalexin is fine and an untreated infection is far riskier. There are hardly any medicines in category a. Please don't worry!

Spam88 Sun 19-Mar-17 10:23:40

Cefalexin is what I was prescribed for a UTI in early pregnancy as well.

hanna87 Sun 19-Mar-17 11:04:38

Hey tatty, im a pharmacist- cefalexin is fine in pregnancy.. don't worry too much and try to keep well hydrated, loose wearing pants, good hygiene etc to avoid anymore infection.. xx

Tattybogle89 Sun 19-Mar-17 21:20:03

novino thank you. And I'm very sorry for your loss how awful. Thank you all for your help. Il try and relax x

Novinosincebambino Sun 19-Mar-17 22:56:33

Thanks Tatty, I'm 34 weeks pregnant now and had antibiotics early on in this pregnancy too. Can't remember the type though which isn't helpful! Feet up and take care of yourself.

Tattybogle89 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:00:14

Aw thats great to hear novino!! Congratulations flowers.

I am worrying again. Just remembered I took a migraleve pill just before my positive test. The first one for when migraine strikes, think the yellow pill.
I was hit with the worst migraine with aura and thought no Chance I will be pregnant, and took pill and migraine went away.
I've just remembered. That pill has codeine amongst other things in. . ingot positive test not long after so was def pregnant. Oh no.
I also used blink intensive tears eye drops as I get terrible dry eyes.. Went to buy more today and happened to ask in chemist if OK when pregnant and she said no they arent..
So annoyed at myself now and don't think I'll ever relax. sad

hanna87 are you able to advise?/really appreciated your input x

Novinosincebambino Mon 20-Mar-17 13:34:00

I'm no expert but I think before a certain number of weeks the placenta hasn't formed so a lot of bad stuff can't get to the baby - I could be wrong. Don't worry too much, just speak to your doctor or midwife and they'll put your mind at rest. I think 99% of people you speak to will have done something that was a no no before they found out they were pregnant. I certainly did! x

Tattybogle89 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:48:51

Thank you. Just hate that I didn't assume I could be preg. Don't know what to do if I take more migraines. Nothing except migraleve works for me or I end up in bed for 2days . hadn't had one in years so should have clicked I was pregnant!

hanna87 Mon 20-Mar-17 14:04:51

Hey Tatty
Paracetamol is relatively safe in pregnancy as a rule of thumb, and codeine is sometimes given for severe back pain etc- codeine is more of an issue one the baby grows and can become dependent--but this would be where you take it regularly all throughout pregnancy at high doses..the odd one is not too likely to cause major issues.
Migraleve has buclizine too-for which there is very little pregnancy related info..

Taking all that into consideration is why any pharmacy you go to wouldn't sell you it if they knew you were pregnant..

Migraleve is sometimes still prescribed in pregnancy-where benefits outweigh risks..

The eyedrops are non medicated-so again don't worry-but ask gp to advise what they are familiar too-as dry eyes can lead to headaches and migraines too!

Don't beat ur self up as its a one off-and now you are wiser to ur situation you can avoid as many medications as possible....

Not sure how much that helps but calm down as worrying too much will probably raise ur blood pressure-far more dangerous in pregnancy.. takecare xx

Tattybogle89 Mon 20-Mar-17 15:48:17

Thank you Hanna I appreciate your post. Just a bit of a worrier! Yes dry eyes are a bad cause of headaches for me and that's why I was hopingbincan used drops .
I definitely won't use migraleve again. . just hoping no more hormonal migraines attack! Do you think then with having taken just one migraleve, quite early on, i can assume the Buclizine won't cause any issues with my baby's development ? Thinking of the the brain and spine developing early on is what has worried me so much.
Will my folic acid be absorbed the same with me being on cefalexin also?
Sorry for all the questions. Nice to have someone to ask until I can get appt sorted.
Thanks so muchx

Tattybogle89 Mon 20-Mar-17 15:49:57

Sorry for typos x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now