Talk

Advanced search

Not sure when to stop mini pill

(9 Posts)
Bethan2 Sat 18-Mar-17 19:31:21

Hello all,

I have a 6mo son and we are hoping to go for number 2. I'd like to conceive this September to have baby next June (but July or August would be ok too). I am just pondering when to come off my birth control 😮. I'm on Cervazette (the mini pill).

When we started trying to get pregnant the first time, I came off the mini pill in July and had a couple of mini periods in July and August. I then had 'normal' periods in September and October, but we missed the conception window each time. We then hit the conception window in November and bingo - baby 😮.

I know how extraordinarily lucky we are to have conceived so quickly, but I am not sure how much time to leave it this time! I don't want to come off it too early as I know from research that a gap of less than a year between pregnancies can cause health problems, (and abortion is not an option). On the other hand it might take longer than expected to conceive again and for various health and financial reasons we want to do it sooner rather than later (including the fact that I turn 35 in October 😔).

Sorry for the long post, basically the conundrum is should I come off it around May or later to conceive in September?

Thanks very much for reading.

physicskate Sat 18-Mar-17 21:20:58

I really don't think these things can be planned that precisely...

Bethan2 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:20:26

Well I was hoping to get some advice about planning, hence posting on here... 😯

Anyone else managed to conceive quickly two or more times from coming off Cerazette?

TheLionQueen Sun 19-Mar-17 17:26:49

Could you come off the mini pill and use condoms/barrier method until it would be a good time to conceive?
That way you can let your cycle settle and get to know it before actively trying?

physicskate Sun 19-Mar-17 17:42:56

I guess what I am trying to say bethan is that planning ahead like what you are trying to do (very sensible of you) by planning when you will give birth is not how this works.... she says after ttc for a year and thinking she had it all figured out when she started

I would agree that stopping the pill sooner rather than later (and using a barrier method) will give you the best opportunities to get your cycle back on track and ready to conceive when you are ready.

Bethan2 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:48:39

Thanks Kate! x

Usernamegone Sun 19-Mar-17 17:57:47

I'm 36 and came off cerazette at the end of May last year. I've still not conceived. Unfortunately conception is an inexact science.

Maybe you could stop taking cerazette and use condoms just to see how quickly your cycle gets back to normal?

Fingers crossed you do conceive quickly x

Hotpinkangel19 Sun 19-Mar-17 18:04:19

Hi OP, we are in a similar situation, we are ttc in September too, for a June baby. I stopped Cerazette on 26th February as I want to give my body chance to return to normal, so just using other methods until then. I have had no bleeding yet but according to the OPK's I have ovulated a week ago, so expecting (hopefully) AF next Sunday ish. I turn 34 in October so a year younger than you xx

Bethan2 Mon 20-Mar-17 12:59:03

Thanks so much for all your replies. Think the plan is to come off in May and keep our fingers crossed. Good luck everyone xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now