how long does it take to conceive?

(15 Posts)
user1489492712 Tue 14-Mar-17 13:02:21

im 31 this year my husband is 53 this year, i came off the pill in august and been trying since. We have sex every day not just for baby making but because we love it. How long should i wait until i start to worry?

Chattycat78 Tue 14-Mar-17 13:04:43

At least a year tbh. Can take some people up to 2 years and there be no problem. Sorry- it's just a waiting game and a lot of luck is involved. Sex every day might not be ideal though- sperm need time to replenish to be at their best. Every other day is better.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 14-Mar-17 13:09:34

Too many variables. I have had several miscarriages, one from a one night stand with failed contraception, yet years later nothing with my DP because he is infertile. We cannot have children.

Do you know of any potential issues? Have either of you had kids before?

Purplebluebird Tue 14-Mar-17 13:10:59

It took me 3 weeks after quitting the pill shock I had fully expected 1-2 years, as both my mum and her sister took a while to conceive (2+ years, had nothing wrong). It can take a long time, it's absolutely impossible to know. I am in awe of sex every day though! I would be happy with 3-4 times a week, though currently it has been once a month for the last 3 years (after having a baby). If you're getting very worried, it doesn't hurt to go see a doctor about it. Best of luck.

Figgygal Tue 14-Mar-17 13:13:47

A year before you should worry

Ds1 2nd cycle when I was 30
Ds2 11 months when was 35

So can vary greatly

shirleycartersaidso Tue 14-Mar-17 13:16:58

How long is a piece of string. Took two years first time round, ended in MC. Conceived twins straight after MC, had sex once.

mumofthemonsters808 Tue 14-Mar-17 13:23:47

For me it was rapid, 2 months for first baby and 3 weeks for the second, but it's different for everyone.Id be concerned if nothing was happening after twelve months, but saying that, I know couples who spent years trying and eventually got their baby.

Chattycat78 Tue 14-Mar-17 13:33:27

Yes- as people above say, it can vary greatly on an individual basis , but i would see a doctor after a year. They won't do anything before then anyway.

It took me a year and ivf for baby 1, and 4 weeks and no ivf for baby 2hmm

Tantrictantrum Tue 14-Mar-17 13:33:58

1st baby - 1month
2nd baby - 1 month
3rd baby 4 months
4th baby 3 years

jimijack Tue 14-Mar-17 13:35:44

From months to years, took 10 years to get my second child, 3 years to get first.

YouBoggleMyMind Tue 14-Mar-17 13:44:37

I have pcos and I'm still trying for number 1 after 2 years 8 months... a year of that was trying naturally and the rest under the fertility clinic.

user1471496670 Tue 14-Mar-17 14:12:03

We've just finished our 5th cycle and it's hard not to worry! We'll be trying one more time then going to the GP for tests due to my age (39 in 2mths).
I have friends who are younger though and conceived late 20's and took 6, 8 and 10mths so we're still under the realms of 'normal'.
It's an old wives tale about not having sex every day though...the more you have sex the more a man's body signals him into producing sperm which leads to healthy sperm!
We have sex at least once a day (3-4 times if we're both off work! Lol)

HazyDays81 Tue 14-Mar-17 14:43:29

DS1 took 3 months (I was 29)
DS2 took 1 month! (I was 32)
DC3 we have been trying for 6 months & I've had 2 chemical pregnancies (now age 35)
Like others have said you cannot predict how long it will take & I would see the doctor after a year.
Good luck!

SheepyFun Tue 14-Mar-17 14:52:23

The stats, when I last looked:
84% conceive during the first year of having unprotected sex.
Of the remaining 16%, half will conceive during the second year.

We took more than one year, but less than two. Friends have had tests and treatment, and it doesn't sound much fun. Given that, we decided to try for more than a year before seeking help - DD was conceived naturally.

countingdown2gin Tue 14-Mar-17 16:17:25

No way of knowing!

DS 6 months
This baby 15 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now