Talk

Advanced search

Bicornurate uterus

(11 Posts)
Chlo22 Tue 14-Mar-17 12:07:34

Hi all,
does anyone have any experience of this? I've just had a mmc and the sonographer told me I have a heart shaped uterus. I know someone who had this and only problem was that she had to have a caesarean but looking online people seem to think it's a problem.
Thanks

moomin11 Tue 14-Mar-17 12:14:52

Hi,
I have one too, also found on a scan when I had a mmc a few years ago. Sorry for your loss. I had another early mc a few months later but then had my DD. Currently being treated for an ectopic but am told that's unrelated. Was consultant led during my pregnancy with DD and had to have regular growth scans towards the end but didn't have to have a c-section.

mayhew Tue 14-Mar-17 12:16:20

It's more common than you'd think and shouldn't affect conception or early miscarriage. Your reading has probably told you that you could have an increased risk of prematurity or late miscarriage, breech presentation or other odd presentation needing caesarean.

None of those are in your control and may not happen. When you are next pregnant, tell the booking midwife and ask to be referred to an obstetrician for monitoring and extra care.

LizzieMacQueen Tue 14-Mar-17 12:16:25

Labour more likely to be back-to-back is the only thing I can think of, top of my head.

sayatidaknama Tue 14-Mar-17 12:26:01

I have one. I found out during my first pg. We're all different but there's a good side and a bad side apparently. I was told this during my 7th pregnancy whilst having a scan. IUI should have been offered I was also told by the same person with hindsight. I do have 3 DC. All born by c section because either breech or transverse and after 2 they refused to let me deliver naturally despite DD2 turning during labour. My first was very squashed and consequently had bad torticollis.

AmyB1986 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:30:21

Hi, I don't have a bicorurate uterus but I do have a partial septation and retroverted uterus. Heart shaped and tilted back toward my spine.

Conception wise it's taken a little longer to conceive and had to deliver by csection as dd's got stuck in the breech position.
I've had a lot of mc's, 5 to be exact. One was a twin pregnancy at 21+5, second pregnancy I had a disappearing twin dd born via csection as she was breech and stayed put nicely. Dd2 was breech and born via csection. I had two mc's last year also and I'm currently 8+2 pregnant with dc3.
They say the septum has a diminished blood supply, if a pregnancy implants there, there is an almost 100% chance of mc. For me the right side of my uterus is not very good but the left is, all of my healthy pregnancies have implanted on that side. I'm offered an early scan between 7-8weeks to check the position of the pregnancy. This one is in the right place with a nice heart beat.

I don't think it's really a problem but it is heart breaking having mc's and a higher risk pregnancy.

There is surgery available to correct it. I'm not sure what the affects could be fertility wise and I know it takes 3 ops to fully correct. For me I have a band that runs down the back of my uterus which was discovered during my csection not on a scan although you can see it quite clearly on a scan but only when I'm pregnant not when I'm not. I've opted not to have the surgery as this will be my last baby providing things go how they should.

So sorry for your loss also xx

Sorry for the long post too 😬

Chlo22 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:13:44

Thank you for all of the replies. Interesting that you say there's a good side and a bad side. I don't know if this is a silly question but I only have one tube so would this mean I would only implant on one side?? How did you find out which side was good, I guess from the pregnancies that have gone full term? My consultant told me I had it quite a while ago but said only issue I might have is having to have a caesarean.

FruitCider Tue 14-Mar-17 19:02:33

I hate to be the bearer of bad news 

BU does not affect your fertility level... However depending on the severity it can certainly affect your ability to carry a pregnancy to viability. 

My uterus looks like bunny ears. So quite severe. I've had 2 MMC's, a pregnancy of unknown location, and a second trimester miscarriage. I got lucky on pregnancy number 5 because I had an emergency cervical cerclage fitted due to funnelling of the cervix and bleeding.

My pregnancy I carried to term, I bled most of the way through it on and off. I had bi weekly cervical scans, hence the emergency cerclage at 16 weeks. Without that stitch my waters would definitely have broken and I would have lost that baby too.

Main risks that are increased with BU:
1) miscarriage
2) PPROM
3) IUGR
4) premature labour
5) breech/transverse presentation
6) positional talipes on baby once born

However there are many ladies with BU that have normal pregnancies. It just depends on how stretchy your uterus is. There is no way of telling unfortunately.

I'm so sorry to give you all of this information. I feel terrible 

Nospringflower Tue 14-Mar-17 20:30:16

I also have a bicorneate uterus and my sister does too. I found out while being investigated for miscarriages (2). Had 3 healthy pregnancies then another 2 mcs.

I was told can cause miscarriage and i had transverse lies and breech but all righted themselves. Also had retained placenta and my sister did bit not sure if its related or not,

Chlo22 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:39:52

Miscarriage is awful but it's reassuring that a lot of you here have gone on to have healthy children. That's all I'm really bothered about. The consultant told me it wasn't severe but I'm going to bring it up again when I see her next week.

SusanTrinder Tue 14-Mar-17 20:43:16

I've got one.

First was section for breech, then I had twins but lost one very early on and then had a section for placental failure with the sticky baby.

You're much more likely to have a section, but apart from that it's a variation of normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now