Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used chasteberry/agnus cactus to regulate cycles?

(11 Posts)
Bows85 Tue 14-Mar-17 11:45:37

Hi there
I have irregular cycles (ranging from 31 days to 51 days) and wanting some advice about making them shorter, or at least more regular.

Bit of background...
TTC 1
32yrs old
Came off pill in August
Long cycles and seemingly short luteal phase (9/10 days)

I am being seen by GP because of my long cycles and they've been really supportive. Ultrasound scan ruled out PCOS and awaiting progesterone blood test results (however OPKs and bbt tracking suggests I am ovulating). DH is due to have sperm analysis done this week and I have been referred to gynaecologist (appt not until May though).

So I was hoping for some advice from anyone who has used chasteberry/agnus cactus. Did it regulate your cycles? Make any difference?

Also any successful hints or tips you have tried or heard about would be great. The whole process is starting to get me down.

TIA smile

Flashinthepan Tue 14-Mar-17 11:51:33

I've just started a b50 mega complex for short cycles, short light periods, short luteal phase and mid cycle spotting. Nothing has fixed it after almost a year. But this month I had a six day period, and am now 5/6 DPO and have had no spotting. I'm singing it's praises! Fingers crossed bfp follows soon! I know your cycle is different than mine but it seems lots of women swear by it so might be worth a go.

Bows85 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:45:43

Wow, that sounds really promising flash! I hope you get your BFP this month.

I guess I'm frightened to take it in case it messes up my messed up cycle even more. It's so frustrating. Wish I had normal cycles!

boatrace30 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:12:16

I started taking AC last month and had a 34 day cycle which is good for me. Think I have a short luteal phase so going to do B50 this month. But did read that you should just take it after ovulation. Is that what you are doing flash?
Last month I only took AC up until ovulation but think I'll take it all month this time

boatrace30 Wed 15-Mar-17 07:57:38

Just to add, in cd14 and have ewcm this morning. That's very early in my cycle for me which I makes me hopeful...

Bows85 Wed 15-Mar-17 08:35:33

Oh fx to you boat!

How long were your cycles before you started taking AC? I would love to get down to 34 days! My latest cycle was the longest I've had at 51 days and I just don't think I could cope with it being that long (or longer) again. The wait is all a bit soul destroying sad

Also, did you speak to your GP before taking them? I'm having investigations done into my long cycles so wouldn't want to mess things around without getting advice...

Flashinthepan Wed 15-Mar-17 10:55:14

B50 is safe the whole time as far as I know, I was recommended it on the miscarriage and pregnancy loss board by others who had mid cycle spotting, mine started after an ectopic last year. But Angus castus I believe should only be taken up to ovulation not after.

Joinourclub Wed 15-Mar-17 11:07:12

It shortened my usual 6 week cycle to a 4 week cycle initially. But then had a never ending period. As you are already being seen by the doctor I would take their advice. I took it right at the start if ttc and went to see the gp after the never ending period, she advised against taking it. After a year I was referred to the fertility clinic and prescribed clomid which did the trick, twice.

Bows85 Wed 15-Mar-17 14:45:41

Thanks for all the replies.

While I really want to feel like I'm being proactive and shortening my cycles, I think you're probably right joinourclub. Wait to get the advice from my GP. I'm obviously in two minds as to whether to start taking it!

I have been referred to the fertility clinic (appointment in May) so perhaps better to see what they say before I start messing around with things.

Joinourclub - congratulations on your pregnancies smile Can I ask...were you ovulating with your long cycles when you were prescribed clomid? I believe I am ovulating so not sure whether I would qualify for this.

boatrace30 Wed 15-Mar-17 22:14:35

I just went ahead as was keen to just do something. Cycles have been as long as 55 days. I haven't taken B50 throughout as was told it can delay ovulation. So far it hasn't seemed to cause any harm but I agree it's better to be cautious. I think I've been a bit reckless with it!

Bows85 Thu 16-Mar-17 10:06:20

Oh boat, I am sure you won't be doing any harm, and you're not being reckless! You're just wanting to give yourself the best possible chance of conceiving. It's hard enough for women with "normal" cycles to catch that egg let alone crazy cycles like ours! It's only natural for you to want to do something to help. Fx it works for you. Keep us updated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now