Talk

Advanced search

Looking for advice

(8 Posts)
Needingchange Fri 10-Mar-17 23:47:49

Hello, this is my first post so hopefully I'm doing this right! My husband and I have been talking recently about having a family in the near future. This year is out of the question as we have events and holidays planned that we would like to attend without children but I would like to start ttc early next year. I currently take what was microgynon. I am in fairy good shape and don't smoke or drink. I was just after some advice on how long does it take for the pill to stop taking effect? I know they warn you to protect if you miss any but in reality can it be days? Is there anything I should be considering taking such as vitamins? I haven't discussed this with anyone as I don't want friends or family getting their hopes up so feel a bit lost as to who to ask

EMHW123 Fri 10-Mar-17 23:53:37

If I'm honest.... you're never in control of this. No one is. Healthy/unhealthy preventing or not it would appear we have little control over this phenomenon, despite what we are lead to believe.

Ask yourself 3 things

1) am I ready?
2) is my partner ready
3) are our finances ready

Then forget that and go with your gut. There are worst things than a baby that could happen in your life.

Spam88 Sat 11-Mar-17 00:02:24

It really varies from person to person how long it takes for your cycle to settle down after coming off the pill.

In terms of vitamins, you don't need to be doing anything at the moment, but when you start trying you should take folic acid, and then vitamin D once you're pregnant.

haveacupoftea Sat 11-Mar-17 00:39:48

It could be days and it could be years...you just wont know until you start trying i'm afraid. But for the majority of people a few months is enough to get pregnant.

Needingchange Sat 11-Mar-17 00:58:53

Thank you for the replies. I have seen folic acid mentioned a lot so wasn't sure if it's something you take in advance or anything. I have browsed forums but found myself over complicating things I think!

HbH04 Sat 11-Mar-17 06:25:40

I followed the advice to start taking vitamins three months before so they start getting into the system... pregnacare conception + vit D & Omegas (because im vegetarian!)

I also came off Microgynon, after approx 16 years. Came off November but this is first month TTC (holiday in zika country meant we had to hold off for a bit) The cycles have been pretty regular so far (touch wood) & a nurse said the other day that you can actually be really fertile straight after coming off but it's just one of those things... different for everyone!

There were some good articles on the conception homepage about coming off the pill to TTC, or even just a good google to gain a bit more knowledge!

Enjoy your last year being just a couple!! x

Spam88 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:15:02

OP, NHS guidance just says to start taking folic acid when you start ttc, but I've heard lots of people say they've read it should be taken for 3 months before. Your body won't store folic acid so I'm not really sure what the benefit of this could be but it certainly won't do any harm. I personally started taking it when I came off the pill which was about 6 weeks before starting ttc. I also starting taking my vitamin D as soon as we started trying so that I'd be covered for those couple of weeks before you find out your pregnant (and actually the advice now is that everyone should be taking vitamin d in winter anyway).

Oldschool41 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:33:40

I had the copper coil for 11 years then Mirconor mini pill for a few months stop talking that last month and my AF carried on as normal 28 cycle. Due AF 14th march 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now