Talk

Advanced search

Confused - Pregnant or Not

(17 Posts)
ruthieruthuk Thu 09-Mar-17 14:36:20

So Ive done five home pregnancy tests over the last three days, all positive and not the boldest of lines but defo a clear line in all of them, on Tuesday i went to A&E as i had had some brown discharge, had been drinking water all day so my urine was quite weak so the tests they did were all negative, I've done a clear blue and another cheaper brand, all have been positive, today i went to see GP and told them whats been happening, they tested my urine which i had taken with me from the first urine of the day, i tested it earlier and had another positive however when the doc tested it she got a negative, I'm so confused and my head is all over the place, not sure what to think anymore, according to my last period i would be 4+3 if i was.. Anyone shed any light on this, is there anything that could be causing false positives on my home tests?

NameChange30 Thu 09-Mar-17 14:39:16

I think you're pregnant. I don't think it's possible to get a false positive. It's such early days that you probably only have enough hormones to show a positive in your FMU, as it's more concentrated. That would explain why the tests you've taken later in the day have been negative.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! smile

GemSingleton Thu 09-Mar-17 15:45:48

I think you're pregnant too. But still early days maybe, that could be why you're testing positive and then negative. I was about 5/6 weeks when I found out I was pregnant and I had very strong positives at this point. I even did a clear blue one too that says pregnancy or not pregnant. Maybe give it another couple of days and test again, maybe even use a digital one

NameChange30 Thu 09-Mar-17 16:30:48

The digital ones are actually less sensitive than the others. So might be worth waiting a bit longer before doing one of those.

ruthieruthuk Thu 09-Mar-17 18:17:04

Thanks, I've spoken to the early pregnancy unit who advised me to send a urine sample off to the lab at the hospital through the doctors, only thing was my urine was extremely dilute as i did this aft and had been drinking pop, hoping to have a result by tomorrow afternoon, epu advised me that if there was anything there the lab would pick up on it so fingers crossed, i guess I'm just being inpatient as time will tell but would just like to know for sure then i can feel happy about it instead of being frustrated and in this limbo x

ruthieruthuk Thu 09-Mar-17 18:18:10

Namechange - Did u say the digital ones are less sensitive as i went out and bought one as my friends recommended i did?

haveacupoftea Thu 09-Mar-17 18:34:14

You went to A&E with brown discharge? confused

Just give it a few days and take another test. What do you expect the EPU to do?!

Foggymist Thu 09-Mar-17 18:41:03

^wss. A&e for brown discharge is ridiculous.

ruthieruthuk Thu 09-Mar-17 19:09:46

In the past epu have done blood tests but because I've had negatives when I've been to see the GP they haven't referred me even though I've had many positives at home, I've always had early scans when I've been pregnant in the past as I'm high risk of etopic, epu usually do those, so its vital i catch it early just incase

ruthieruthuk Thu 09-Mar-17 19:12:35

I didn't just go to A&E because of the brown discharge, i had some symptoms of etopic so i dont see that as ridiculous hmm

ninjapants Thu 09-Mar-17 19:26:02

I was just about to say that ruthier!
I had brown discharge, booked a telephone appointment with the docs (who never called as they wrote my phone number down incorrectly confused), two days later I was ambulanced to hospital with a ruptured ectopic. So not as 'ridiculous' as you may think tea and foggy. Wish I'd gone to A&E sad

Sorry for going off topic. It looks to me like you're pregnant but maybe test again in a few days. If you have a genuine concern that something isn't right then go back to your doctor. (FWIW I had the same kind of bleeding as the ectopic when pregnant with DS, there were no issues at all). I hope all is well for you

silkybear Thu 09-Mar-17 19:26:36

Take a deep breath. Stop doing tests. Give it a week and if no period test again, if preg you will have built up enough hormones to get a clear result. I keep seeing threads where people have done 5-10 home preg tests, that way madness lies...just one will suffice but done a few more days after your period was due. Good luck op.

MrsDc7 Thu 09-Mar-17 19:30:37

Let us know. Fingers crossed for the result you want smile

ruthieruthuk Thu 09-Mar-17 20:13:04

Ninjapants, thanks for your message, how many weeks were you when you were taken to hospital?

Im worried if i stop testing and leave it a week that it'll turn out to be ectopic and I don't want to take that risk, I'm not sure when an ectopic becomes dangerous x

Emma2803 Thu 09-Mar-17 21:14:47

Ruthie I definitely think you are pregnant!! Those look like quite strong positive tests. I think most likely the hospital and Dr's tests just aren't as sensitive as the home ones and that's why the aren't showing up. Good luck with epu, I hope all is well with your little bean!!

ninjapants Thu 09-Mar-17 21:24:22

I was 9 weeks.
Please try not to worry yourself, it's extremely unlikely to be ectopic, even with the increased risk you mentioned. I'd recommend not testing again til Monday as you'll only get yourself wound up (been there!) and if it's positive phone your GP and ask for an early scan, they won't refuse if you're at increased risk.

When I was pregnant with DS, which was after the ectopic, I had a scan at six weeks to check it wasn't ectopic and another a week later to see the heart beat, which wasn't visible at the earlier scan. The bleeding I had that time was around 5 weeks, just after I found out. It must have been implantation bleeding. The bleeding I had with the ectopic started later, around 7/8 weeks.

Yolandafarthing Thu 09-Mar-17 21:26:01

4 weeks would be too early for ectopic symptoms to show up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now