Talk

Advanced search

When am I likely to ovulate?

(14 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Wed 08-Mar-17 18:37:41

This is all a bit technical and I do realise that the ultimate answer is "no one knows, Idiot" so apologies in advance.

I'm mildly worried that I'm not ovulating, although I had hormone tests in November (miscarried last year) that indicated that everything seemed to be working.

Cycle is between 25 and 28 days. I started testing using Clearblue Dual Hormone in the morning and pink OPKs in the afternoon from day 8 (it should have been day 7 really) and it's now day 12. Days 8 and 9: plain circle. Days 10 and 11: flashing smiley. CM started to get stringy two days ago and still is. But I haven't had an LH surge (using pink sticks at 12pm as well). Am I freaking out too early? I miscarried last year so know I was ovulating then but am now a bit paranoid about all things fertility related. I know it is possible to miss the LH surge or have a low one that triggers ovulation but doesn't register.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 08-Mar-17 18:38:18

Sorry, using OPKs at 1 pm not 12.

gladisgood Wed 08-Mar-17 18:46:40

My friend tried Ovusense. She now has a baby. She bores everyone to death tells anyone who'll listen about how wonderful it is. grin Apparently it's a lot more accurate than the store bought tests or temperature charts.

I can't recommend it personally ( I had IVF after 8 years of infertility ) but I do know that I would have used it if it had been invented when I was TTC. It turned out that my friend was not ovulating until really late in her cycle - she found out exactly when to "try" and it worked!

Good luck!

ethelfleda Wed 08-Mar-17 19:13:06

I'd try charting your BBT as well. Apparently the only way to tell if you are ovulating... although when you see your temp rise it's too late for that month. Also, if you are getting regular periods the chances are that you are ovulating every month. I used OPKS and never received a 'true' positive even though I tested twice a day. I am now 4 weeks pregnant so I guess I must have ovulated after all smile

ethelfleda Wed 08-Mar-17 19:14:09

This was my darkest OPK last cycle...

AnUtterIdiot Wed 08-Mar-17 19:17:02

gladisgood That's a new one on me! I might give them a go next month.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 08-Mar-17 19:19:33

ethelfleda Ha! That's a very reassuring photograph. I'm getting a line on the pink ones that's getting a bit darker as time goes on. I'll keep going, I suppose. I do have a BBT thermometer but I keep forgetting to take it before I get out of bed. The GP has also told me that my cycle counts as regular and that coupled with the hormones (and having been pregnant once before) almost certainly means I am ovulating. I'm in my very early 40s now, although my mother didn't go through the menopause until she was in her very late 50s so I would hope that I'm not heading for perimenopause just yet but I'm worried that my hormones aren't what they were!

Congrats on your BFP, that's brilliant flowers

Deadsouls Wed 08-Mar-17 19:22:48

You can get an app on your phone called 'flo' it will tell you when it is likeli. Or buy some ovulation pee sticks from Amazon. Much cheaper than pharmacy

Notapissingcontest Wed 08-Mar-17 19:32:17

I used these after I miscarried and have to say they didn't work for me. I think I became obsessed with it and it was too stressful for us both. Saying 'it's a smiley face hubby, let's get on it' isn't romantic or sexy!
I got pregnant when I had stopped with the strips, I had stopped taking my temp, stopped eating weird fertility foods and decided to just dtd every few days and have massages to relax. I roughly aimed to dtd more around day 8 to 16 I think (tho it was a while ago).
Tmi I know but, I know when I ovulate now as I can see the change in my mucus and got pregnant with dc2 guided by that.worked first time.
I know when I miscarried I felt it was never going to happen and it was one of the most stressful and upsetting times. I had made the decision to give it a rest and give myself time when I fell pregnant with dc1. I found babycentre trying after miscarriage boards really helped.

AnUtterIdiot Fri 10-Mar-17 13:07:48

Thanks very much both (and everyone).

I hit "peak fertility" today on the ClearBlue sticks so I suspect I have ovulated, but if I don't get a BFP this month I may well invest in the Ovusense!

AnUtterIdiot Fri 10-Mar-17 13:09:41

... or am about to ovulate.

Notapissingcontest I know, it's hard to target the window and avoid making sex a chore. But DH isn't turned off or freaked out by the scientific approach so we're happy to identify the window and focus our energies on it!

AnUtterIdiot Fri 26-May-17 23:27:57

Just nipping back to say that I evidently did ovulate as I'm 9 weeks today! No scan yet though so very much waiting to see if all has gone well so far.

Newtothis11 Sat 27-May-17 04:15:17

Fantastic news smile

ThisTime81 Sat 27-May-17 15:16:43

Congratulations! Our first month using OPK fx it's lucky!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now