Talk

Advanced search

How long?

(8 Posts)
WendlaBergmann Wed 08-Mar-17 12:40:19

Husband and I have been TTC #2 since May last year. We conceived in July/ August but had an EMC.

Since then, nothing. I'm 2 weeks late now but had negative test yesterday. So am now waiting on period to start again.

Went to the GP who has sent me off with a form for blood tests - to check for menopause/ any other problems. I'm 40.

We're going to try the Clearblue OPKs this month, but I wondered when we should ask GP for a referral, and aside from all the sex if there's anything I/ we could be doing to improve chances.

Unsurprisingly I'm stressed and upset (which probably doesn't help) not least as we fell for DS in the first flipping month of trying.

Reassurances also welcome

Thingymaboob Wed 08-Mar-17 12:58:21

Unfortunately in most if not all areas of the country the NHS will not offer IVF and other fertility treatments to women of 40 or above. Therefore, you can ask your GP for a referral at any time as the referral will be a private one. Sorry to bring bad news.

Thingymaboob Wed 08-Mar-17 13:00:17

Another reason the NHS might not offer you help is that you already have a child.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:00:30

At my Dr its 42 so worth asking still!!

SleepFreeZone Wed 08-Mar-17 13:12:37

I think it's going to be a case of keep trying. I know you feel like time isn't in your side but as long as you are ovulating you have a chance of conceiving. That being said I would be pushing for a soerm test for your OH as there is a chance he could be sub optimum in that area and some lifestyle changes and supplementation could help. How long are your cycles usually? Have you tried acupuncture for fertility?

SleepFreeZone Wed 08-Mar-17 13:13:47

*sperm

WendlaBergmann Wed 08-Mar-17 13:28:05

Thanks all, I did worry that time was not on our side, and a private referral would be out of the question atm.

I haven't thought of acupuncture, I'll have a look around and see if there are any local recommendations. And will give DH a gentle shove doctorswards to get checked.

WaitingInAzkaban Thu 09-Mar-17 13:08:49

We've also been TTC seen May last year and had nothing but a suspected chemical pregnancy ending in miscarriage.
We have tried almost everything and have now started Pregnacare his & hers conception.
I don't have much advise but I'm sympathising with you, it's heartbreaking sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now