Talk

Advanced search

App with consultant - what to expect

(7 Posts)
Salmonpinkcords Tue 07-Mar-17 20:55:43

I have my first (perhaps only!) appointment with a consultant tomorrow as a result of recurring miscarriages ( 3 - last one at 8 weeks).

What can I expect? I'm going on my own as DH is away so want to be a bit prepared if possible. What I have blood taken or just history discussed?

JeNeBaguetteRien Tue 07-Mar-17 23:12:56

I don't know but wanted to wish you luck. I'd expect they'll want to investigate if there's something that can be done to lower the risk of MC in your next pregnancy. Bring a notebook and ask them to repeat anything you're not clear on. flowers

Salmonpinkcords Wed 08-Mar-17 07:36:41

Thanks jene I appreciate your response

jaffacakes16 Wed 08-Mar-17 12:23:00

My experience they'll do lots of bloods. You get asked about your cycle so have that info ready (I'd bring notes as they consultant will be rushed so you want everything to hand). My consultation was private so I'm not sure if this is the norm but I was given options for a treatment plan and took notes of all the drugs so I could research when I got home.

Don't be surprised if they ask you to stop trying while they investigate.

Good luck!

Ps write down any questions you have as you'll probs forget when in there.

Pleasemrstweedie Wed 08-Mar-17 12:24:17

Make sure they test your thyroid function and ask to have a copy of your blood test results, with the reference ranges sent to you.

Good luck.

JeNeBaguetteRien Wed 08-Mar-17 23:42:42

Hope the appointment went well and perhaps gave you some options for the future.

user1470147116 Thu 09-Mar-17 09:29:01

I'd ask for these tests to be done and keep a note of results!

Thyroid TSH
needs to be under 3.5, ideally between 1-2

Progesterone on day 21
needs to be above 30

LH Hormone
needs to be between 2-12, the lower the better

FSH Hormone
test on day 1 of cycle
needs to be between 3-12, the lower the better

Lining of womb
needs to be between 10-13mm on day 21

Have internal scan to count antral follicles

Also test for antiphospholipid syndrome

Consider low does aspirin when pregnant again

B6 also helps prevent miscarriages

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now