Advanced search

IVF on NHS

(11 Posts)
user1470147116 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:20:47

We've been ttc for 18 months.

I am 39 and husband 40.

Had 2 chemical miscarriages at 5 weeks.

Did all the tests and all appears fine.

My GP has referred me to Guys Hospital to see if they will offer me IVF.

Guys hospital criteria is: woman under 40, no children and couple most have been trying for 3 years (!). They don't take into account miscarriages only love births.

We have only been TTC for 18 months, I assume when I tell hospital this, they will send us away, but if I return when I have been ttc for full 3 years, I'll be 40 so will not be eligible....

Will the hospital take my age now into consideration?

What should I do?

KatnissMellark Tue 07-Mar-17 16:21:53

Say you have been trying for 3 years or be prepared to go private.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 07-Mar-17 16:24:01

Say you have been trying for 3 years

OPs medical records will probably say different.

PurpleDaisies Tue 07-Mar-17 16:26:58

Don't lie. It's totally unethical.

Are you absolutely sure it's three years trying?

KatnissMellark Tue 07-Mar-17 16:28:35

True piglet but in my experience there are often sympathetic ears if you are on the edge of the criteria and likely to miss out. I have known of consultants to see/hear what they 'need' to hear to help people squeeze in before time/age limits elapse. Not myself but friends who were in similar position to OP.

ScrapThatThen Tue 07-Mar-17 16:29:25

I can't see you have anything to gain by being honest here, sadly. They will presumably stick strictly to their criteria, so saying 3 years is you giving them an opportunity to say yes. They might still say no, though, if there is a timeline in your referral letter. I know nothing about this though. Good luck with the appointment whatever you do.

KatnissMellark Tue 07-Mar-17 16:30:54

When do you turn 40 OP? If it's nearly a year at that point you'll have been trying for 2.5 years so there may be some flex. 3 years trying for unexplained is not unusual.

Its unfortunate really that they haven't found an issue as often then time limits for trying can be overridden.

Elllicam Tue 07-Mar-17 16:30:56

I would lie too. Unless it is really obvious that you haven't been trying longer e.g. if you had an implant in.

user1470147116 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:35:56

I turn 40 in 12 months time.

Guys hospital won't offer IVF on NHS for 40 and above.

If I am honest and say I've been TTC for 18 month only then they will turn me away.

Seems unfair...

anametouse Tue 07-Mar-17 18:01:07

Lie - I would. It's clear you need the help, it's not like you've been trying 2 months and are taking advantage. 3 years is a daft amount of time to ask for considering success tends to reduce with age

Best of luck to you flowers

Roseandbee Tue 07-Mar-17 19:04:26

Im likely to get offered IVF as my next step but i'm thinking of turning it down for now, as although i've not been using birth control for nearly 3 years I don't feel we have spent long enough trying with the timings etc. On my referral the doctor just took my off birth control time, as my TTC time (in fact he even added a year, as he seemed to count the time we were using condoms?) Anyway my point is you should get it over me as you probably have got your timings right on more months than I have. So in my opinion the criteria isn't fair to begin with so if you have to lie to tick their boxes then so be it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now