Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

10% chance of live birth with paid-for IVF. Would you bother?

(21 Posts)
ScoutFinchMockingbird Mon 27-Feb-17 12:57:18

I have been given a 10% chance of a live birth if I have double embryo transfer following IVF treatment, which we would have to pay £5K for.

We already have a child, but did want another if possible. But is it worth it, given all the expense and trauma involved in IVF and possibly losing any possible pregnancy?


Floggingmolly Mon 27-Feb-17 12:58:52

Why are your odds so low, do you know?

RyanStartedTheFire Mon 27-Feb-17 13:00:41

It depends on how easily you can afford it really in my opinion. If 5k is readily available I'd do it, if you had to scrimp or borrow I wouldn't consider it.

2014newme Mon 27-Feb-17 13:00:52

In those circumstances no I wouldn't do it. I speak as someone who had lots of ivf. Those odds are very low💐 and you do have a child mercifully
Good luck whatever you decide

2014newme Mon 27-Feb-17 13:01:59

Ryan would you do it with a ten per cent chance?

empirerecordsrocked Mon 27-Feb-17 13:03:06

I would if I could afford it 10% is more than 0%.

RyanStartedTheFire Mon 27-Feb-17 13:04:32

As I said, yes, if I could afford it easily. If I couldn't, if I had to change my lifestyle or borrow money, no I wouldn't.

Floggingmolly Mon 27-Feb-17 13:05:10

It's much lower than usual, though. There'll be a reason why that is.
Sorry, op flowers

ILoveMyMonkey Mon 27-Feb-17 13:08:20

In your situation, no I wouldn't do it, not even if I could afford it. You mentioned the trauma and that has to be applied not only to you and your DH but also to your DC. I've seen first hand how the loss of a newborn baby (8 weeks old) affected the older siblings and it is heartbreaking for all concerned, even after many years that pain is still there for the siblings. I don't think I could put myself or my living child through that. Sorry.

ScoutFinchMockingbird Mon 27-Feb-17 13:17:37

I have Premature Ovarian Failure, low AmH levels, high endometrium, a cyst on one of my ovaries - let's just say I'm screwed!

Annoying thing is, I was an instadiffer with my one DC and had thought it would all be soooo easy. (Slaps self in restrospect!)

ScoutFinchMockingbird Mon 27-Feb-17 13:19:44

Thanks all for the advice BTW. £5K is quite a big stretch, but not totally out-of-reach if we beg or borrow - which is why we're struggling with the question.

2014newme Mon 27-Feb-17 13:21:31

It isn't the money it's the stress and anxiety 💐 that makes me sad I wouldn't if I already had a child and such low odds

Floggingmolly Mon 27-Feb-17 13:23:10

Tbh, if you can stretch I'd go for it. You only regret the things you haven't done, and all that.
Good luck 🍀

RyanStartedTheFire Mon 27-Feb-17 13:23:45

I wouldn't then, not for those odds. flowers for you OP.
As a disclaimer, I've not had IVF but have had different gambles with my child's likelihood of survival, hence my focus on practicality more than emotionally 2014

FacelikeaBagofHammers Mon 27-Feb-17 13:24:51

I have never had IVF luckily so my opinion is probably null and void - but I'd probably try, just once. I think I'd regret it if I didn't.

SageYourResoluteOracle Mon 27-Feb-17 13:29:11

Oh OP... POF sucks. I was diagnosed before I'd even got off the starting blocks with a family. I tried own egg IVF and although it was very sad and a huge amount of money, it not working helped me move on to egg donation IVF. I now have an amazing DD. I'd love another child but it ain't gonna happen. So, in response to your question:
- yes if I felt I needed to do it in the sense that I'd know I'd done all I could
- no if you could use that money to try something more likely to work OR use it for a FUCK IT ALL holiday and then try to begin the path to acceptance (I say try as I'm not there yet and fear I may never be.)

flowersfor you as it's a miserable, miserable diagnosis.

welshweasel Mon 27-Feb-17 13:32:20

When I did IVF we were told to think of it as a 3 cycle thing, in that the first cycle is often a bit hit and miss whilst they work out which drugs/doses work best for you. A trial run if you like. Obviously sometimes that cycle works but 3 cycles statistically gives you the best chances of conceiving, hence why a lot of clinics sell 3 cycle packages. Are you looking to cycle in the UK? If so, you'll be lucky to get a cycle for 5k. Ours ended up costing 10k for one cycle (at CARE so not a hideously expensive clinic). The likelihood is that you'll be throwing 5k (and more) away with nothing to show for it. What if that one cycle doesn't work but the clinic think if they change a few things around based on how you responded you had a 30% chance the next cycle. Throw another 5-10k at it? I'm obviously playing devils advicate here. Personally I wouldn't.

ScoutFinchMockingbird Mon 27-Feb-17 13:32:33

flowers too Sage. So glad egg donation worked out for you. I'd be up for it, but DH isn't (which I understand).

Curlyanne Mon 27-Feb-17 13:38:37

I did for my last cycle of IVF and had my second child - I was over 40 and had multiple issues. Thing is you are either successful or not, so 10% odds doesn't mean a huge amount if you are one of the lucky ones!
Chances are though that you may need more than one cycle - what would happen if it didn't work or you miscarried? it's a tricky one but would you regret not trying more than giving it ago even if the result was negative?

Chintaria Mon 27-Feb-17 15:10:45

Yes, I would do it. I too had a cyst on my ovary, and almost the lowest AMH level I've heard of (0.2) and we managed to have our dd via ICSI (which I would recommend over IVF). It took us 5 cycles though, but the clinic we started off at was rubbish. We did the last cycle at an excellent clinic and it worked, so it's definitely worth finding the best one you can.
IVF was an emotional rollercoaster, but for us we had to try it, and are so glad we did. I knew I would've regretted it if we hadn't tried everything we could...
Good luck whatever you decide 💐

WelshMammy123 Mon 27-Feb-17 15:52:21


I suspect I would probably still go for it despite the odds being as they are. It's such a hard decision though from both the emotional as well as the financial perspective.

I assume you have but are you looking at clinics outside of the UK as well as those in it? X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: