Talk

Advanced search

5 weeks bleeding and low HCG

(11 Posts)
user1471550552 Mon 20-Feb-17 07:32:13

Sorry bit of a long story here.
We only started trying last month and got pregnant straight away which was a shock. 9th of Jan was the first day of my last period. And I used fertility sticks so I'm pretty sure I ovulated and concieved on the 20th Jan.
We only found out last Monday. Then on Friday I had very light spotting. Obviously I freaked out and went to the doctor. Was told it was probably implanation bleeding and just had to wait aand see.
By yesterday morning it had got a little heavier but still very light. I held out until I got mild cramps around midday and then we went to the hospital.
They did all the bloods and my HCG level was only 22. So obviously extremely low. They did a pelvic exam and my cervix was closed though said it may have opened and closed again.
I had an ultrasound then and an internal ultrasound but they said they was no signs of pregnancy. They did find a small cyst on my ovary which may or may not be related to being pregnant. I have to get my bloods down again tomorrow and I'm booked in for another scan next weekend.
Obviously they said I have most likely miscarried.
And in my heart I think I have too.
But has anyone had anything similiar happen with a good outcome?

confusedinlimbo Mon 20-Feb-17 08:33:43

I'm so sorry about what you're going through.
I'm in pretty much an identical situation (including date of last period!)
I started lightly bleeding for a day and then some spotting. EPU saw me but didn't do an examination, just bloods.

I've been back and forth to the hospital over the last week for multiple blood tests as hcg is going up by only 2/3 points each time (last Monday it was around 23 and that was at the 5 week point, then 25 etc)

They keep expecting the hcg go down but it's staying around the same level.
I had another blood test this morning and if that stays around the same I have an appointment with the consultant tomorrow but I've been told it's not viable at all (which I kind of knew from last week) and I will most likely get an injection tomorrow to 'help things along'.

I am so sorry that I can't give you a more positive experience, it's completely shit and I hope your outcome is happier than mine.
Xx

RockieValentine Mon 20-Feb-17 13:31:59

Hi Confused, sorry to hear you're going through this too. It is really shit for us. I know I'm so super early on so people say it's easier but it prob is but it still hurts.
I just want them to tell 100% today yes or no so we can start trying again.
It's as if I just want to fast forward and be pregnant again. Doubt it will happen as quick second time around.
Good luck today

willitbe Mon 20-Feb-17 16:00:00

I know it is not easy not knowing, being in limbo about a pregnancy, but only time will tell.

Sorry you are all going through this stress. Having had 13 first trimester miscarriages myself, I know how hard limbo time is. I wish you all success.

Confusedinlimbo - get them to check with an ultrasound before giving the injection, it is rare but it is possible to have a normal pregnancy with low hcg. (if you look on the misdiagnosed miscarriage website there are a few stories, plus my mum and sister both had pregnancies with no turning the tests positive, pregnancies were confirmed at 3 and 4 months respectively.)

RockieValentine Mon 20-Feb-17 18:00:31

So sorry you have had to go through this so many times willitbe. I can't imagine what that's like.
At work today and I just want this day to be over :-(

Flashinthepan Mon 20-Feb-17 20:27:49

So sorry for what you ladies are going through. Just to say if you keep having bleeding/spotting with or without pain, and are still getting positive pregnancy tests, you should go to the hospital and ask them to rule out ectopic pregnancy. if they have done a scan and have not found an intrauterine pregnancy but you still have positive pregnancy tests you should also ask them to rescan you and consider an ectopic.

willitbe Tue 21-Feb-17 10:32:14

Flashinthepan - absolutely right, after 5 weeks a scan should be done for ectopic.

RockieValentine - no matter how early it can still be very emotionally hard. I found eventually the only way to go was to just repeat the mantra "today I am pregnant" and refuse to think about any future days of pregnancy or worry about miscarriage, as this only increased the stress. Staying in the present and not thinking ahead. Then the times I did miscarry I would allow myself to feel the pain of the loss. I always wanted to try again straight away, sometimes we did and sometimes we didn't. I hope that you find out soon what is happening.

user1471550552 - you asked in your original post if anyone had had a similar thing with a good outcome, , yes I had bleeding and low hcg and scan (at 7.5weeks) where they couldn't see if there was a pregnancy or not (thickened lining was there), and that resulted in my wonderful daughter..... I have a retroverted uterus (very common) and early scan's for me are always difficult, I measured behind in my daughters pregnancy until after 12 weeks when the uterus rights itself. It is horrible being in this stage of not knowing, I hope you get an answer soon too.

RockieValentine Tue 21-Feb-17 23:22:36

Thank you for the reply ladies. My HCG levels came back at 19 after 48 hours. Which they are saying is a drop but enough for them. Need to repeat them in 48 hours. They just need to rule out ectopic, as they did find the small cyst.
I know the pregnancy is over, too much bleeding, cramps, no pregnancy symptoms and nothing showing on scans. So I just want the levels to drop completely and the cyst to be gone on Thursday so we can move forward.
I'm feeling a lot better and more positive about things today. I just want to try again straight away. Working out when I will ovulate next is a pain though.

confusedinlimbo - Have you had any more news?

confusedinlimbo Wed 22-Feb-17 07:25:38

Oh Rockie, it's so awful hopefully your levels drop enough soon and they can rule out ectopic.

I had an appointment with the consultant yesterday, confirmed ectopic 😔
Going to go back for bloods next week and see if they've dropped (have still stayed pretty static so far) and if not then they'll give me methotrexate.

Just have to keep an eye on myself and if I have any pain to go straight up to the hospital.

Now I'm worrying about future pregnancies as I'm now more likely to suffer from another ectopic and I'm trying to find reasons for why this happened. Never had an STI, this is my first baby on my first bloody month TTC. How bloody unlucky can you be....

Flashinthepan Wed 22-Feb-17 12:22:54

Confused I am so sorry. The same thing happened to me last year. First try, first pregnancy, ectopic. No known causes, had to have surgery and a tube removed so they had a good look at everything and said everything else looks healthy.

Just to let you know, the increase of having another ectopic is 10 per cent instead of 1-2 per cent, but that's still 90 per cent chance of healthy pregnancy, and don't forget those stats include people who do have risk factors so your individual risk may be lower.

You will drive yourself mad trying to work out why it happened but also remember 30-50 per cent of ectopics are for unknown reasons and many many women go on to have 1 or more healthy babies.

I would advise looking at the website for the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust. They have a lot of advice/information, including a helpline and forums if you need to talk to someone. If you want to ask anything else/talk, please do.

confusedinlimbo Wed 22-Feb-17 13:04:04

Thanks Flash for taking the time to comment.
Just taking it as it comes thanks for the recommendation I'll take a look.

It's so easy to focus on the negatives but you're right, 90% is a huge number so just have to try and stay positive.

Whether or not I have to have the methotrexate I think we might wait until the summer to try again and focus on making myself as healthy as possible (mentally and physically).
X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now