Talk

Advanced search

BFP but midwife not interested!

(11 Posts)
DebsandScott Mon 13-Feb-17 15:37:55

So I got a very early BFP (six days before period) but I knew anyway in myself.

Called the midwife today (four days before period due) and she said I'm not pregnant yet as the egg wouldn't have implanted. Now that has confused me as I didn't think I could be a positive until that had happened?

I get that the risk of early loss is high but just found it a bit upsetting!

OhPuddleducks Mon 13-Feb-17 15:40:02

Don't take it personally are you in the U.K.? I feel so they won't do your booking (your first midwife appointment) until you are around 9 weeks pregnant. Congratulations! Hope you have a lovely pregnancy.

gassylady Mon 13-Feb-17 15:41:00

What were you expecting when you contacted her? If you have actively been TTC then I'm sure you will have been doing all the things recommended anyway like not smoking, taking folic acid etc

OhPuddleducks Mon 13-Feb-17 15:42:01

Masses of typos in there. Sorry - I'm baking an unbake-able cake with a 3 and 5 year old!

Notanotherpawpatrol Mon 13-Feb-17 15:42:42

I understand that you're excited, but you're only around 3 weeks pregnant! The midwives won't see you until 8 weeks at the earliest for a booking in scan and then a 12 week scan. You're a little premature! smile make sure you are taking folic acid, eating right and phone her back in around 4 weeks smile

HeyJupiter Mon 13-Feb-17 15:44:59

I second what pawpatrol has said... congratulations and good luck with your pregnancy smile

DebsandScott Mon 13-Feb-17 16:29:11

Thanks for the replies, I totally get that it's early and I wasn't sure on the actual process but my question is more around whether it's possibly to get a BFP if you haven't yet implanted. I thought you got a BFP after a few days of implantation but she seemed to think I wouldn't have yet

gamerchick Mon 13-Feb-17 16:33:32

It's a bit early to be booking in anyway either way OP. Maybe try next month.

HeyJupiter Mon 13-Feb-17 16:34:59

I thought that you could only get a BFP when hCG was released and that would only happen after implantation has occurred... very happy to be corrected though!

Sonnet18 Mon 13-Feb-17 19:31:06

Aw, that's a shame she seemed disinterested. I think some midwives don't realise how exciting this is for us and they just see it as a job! You got your bfp and are pregnant- nothing wrong with looking for some professional advice on where to go next!! In Scotland (where I am) they give you an appointment before the official booking in one (I saw the midwife for all my pregnancies at around 4/5 weeks or so- was a lovely easy appointment that lasted around 15 mins) so I would say you were correct to call. Congrats!

Lovechild2016 Mon 13-Feb-17 22:31:33

I saw my GP at 4+3 as asked to self refer to MW but was told needed a GP appointment first. GP was lovely gave me lots of good advice and told me what to expect re:appointments scans etc. Sorry you've had a bad experience. You have implanted if you've got a BFP as you don't get HCG without implantation, I think MW is just being difficult and saying until you've missed your period your not pregnant (not strictly true!). Hope you're future dealings with NHS are better xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now