Talk

Advanced search

Wonky periods after a miscarriage?

(9 Posts)
meadowlark3 Thu 09-Feb-17 20:37:32

Curious to know if anyone has experienced wonky periods after a miscarriage, and how long it took to get back to normal?

My cycles were bang on 29 days with 4 days of normal bleeding (not too heavy/light/painful) before we started TTC. I fell quickly but miscarried at 5 weeks, didn't need ERPC or anything. It took about 6 weeks to get my first period, and then my cycles were off for several months...I had very painful and short periods (2 days) that weren't heavy and were (TMI warning) a sort of thick black blood, and my cycle length fluctuated quite a bit (27-32 days) which I'd never had before. I also had spotting for a few days before and after my cycle. It's only in the last month or two (ten months after the miscarriage) that I'm getting back to normal, with 4 day bleeds and a normal flow.

I mentioned this to the GP and the consultant (now getting checked for interfility) and no one seemed very concerned, my infection tests and everything are clear. Wondering now if anyone else has had this and gone on to conceive? A bit woo, but I'm hoping my cycles and body and emotions just needed time to heal after the miscarriage and being back to normal is a promising sign for a successful pregnancy soon smile

Thingymaboob Thu 09-Feb-17 20:42:06

You are mirroring exactly what's happened to me. MC at 6 weeks naturally. Took 6 weeks for first period. Now periods are short and heavy, very weird. Like black / brown paste. Still have red blood too. My cycle is back to normal 28 days after 4 months. Had abdominal pain intermittently. Had a scan today which was normal.

Thingymaboob Thu 09-Feb-17 20:42:45

Why are you getting checked for infertility if you caught early?

TheLegendOfBeans Thu 09-Feb-17 20:46:27

Thingy

Is that a necessary question?

xStefx Thu 09-Feb-17 20:54:25

Same here, ectopic a few months ago followed by short 2 day period and cycles from 26 to 32 days. I've just started taking a herbal supplement called Angus cactus as advised by another mums netter as it helps to stabilise periods and hormones xx

meadowlark3 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:02:20

Thingy I caught quickly but it's now been one year since the miscarriage and I haven't caught again...so I am technically infertile. I had the wonky periods for about seven or eight months after the miscarriage.

Stef sorry about the ectopic...hope your cycles are back on track soon. I see agnus castus a lot in TTC boards but am trying not to add more vitamins and supplements...do you fancy it? I have been taking the same preconception vitamin the whole time so I don't think that is what is changing the cycles though.

Meadow xx

Thingymaboob Thu 09-Feb-17 21:43:37

TheLegendOfBeans
Is it an unnecessary question? Is this not a forum for people talking about difficulties getting pregnant and fertility issues. I was curious, not judging! We are all here hoping to get support and answers and I had already written a long post stating that OPs situation sounded similar to mine. Why wouldn't I ask? Why are you being so defensive? If OPs situation sounds similar to mine, surely I'm comparing it to my own situation and what I should be doing? It was a very blunt straightforward question, not woolly in any way.
OP, I'm sorry for asking that question. I was just thinking that my symptoms are similar and maybe I should be having investigations too?

xStefx Thu 09-Feb-17 23:12:26

I know what you mean about not adding more supplements. I'm
On folic acid, vitamin b and iron and was unsure about adding anything else but it's the first time my periods have ever been out of sync so I thought I would give it a try. Only just started it this week but you never know :-) xx

Flashinthepan Fri 10-Feb-17 09:07:56

Sorry to hear about you MC Meadow. Like, Stef I had an ectopic, mine was in May last year, and I've had mid cycle spotting, shorter periods and shorter cycles since then. I've been having acupuncture to try and regulate them, which does seem to be helping. I went to see the GP as its been nearly a year, and while she isn't concerned she has referred me to the gynaecologist. I don't think it's very well known/discussed what the impact of an unsuccessful pregnancy can have on your body, lots of people seem to experience changes/irregularity for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now