Talk

Advanced search

How reliable are internet cheapies?

(24 Posts)
Bubblegum89 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:03:20

I'm using one step pregnancy test strips. I'm only 10dpo today and got a bfn. Probably still early I guess although I believe I might have had implantation on Wednesday night. I was just wondering how reliable they are? I don't know whether to get some better hpt's for in the future or just stick with these.

Newtoday Sat 04-Feb-17 11:06:54

This gives you the stats for 10dpo do still a chance.

Do your ICs test for 10 or 20ml?

Noodlehair Sat 04-Feb-17 11:09:53

Very! I've had positives as early as 9 dpo with Internet cheapies and poundland strips! My first positive with my dd1 was on an Internet cheapie at 9dpo using FMU and although it was quite faint it was definitely there. Then I bought a superdrug test at lunchtime as it was as clear as day.
Subsequent pregnancies have all used cheapies, and I don't feel guilty about being a POAS addict as they are so cheap!

HollyMay84 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:29:45

I got my bfp this morning at 14dpo. Bottom test is one step internet cheapie. Not very clear/strong but there.

Bubblegum89 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:30:40

I bought them so I could poas every day haha well that's okay then, I won't bother buying expensive ones then.

And I think they are 10, I'll have to double check! Got everything crossed although I'm not feeling very hopeful sad

HollyMay84 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:31:14

Might add the the one step was questionable yesterday but definitely bfn at 12dpo

Bubblegum89 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:36:33

Congratulations holly smile so you were getting negatives up until 14dpo?

Gardencentregroupie Sat 04-Feb-17 11:39:13

With my current pregnancy I was bfn on a cheapie at 12 dpo and only has the faintest of faint positives at 14dpo, so I would say you're testing far too early

HollyMay84 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:47:28

Thank you bubblegum smile this pic is yesterday 13dpo. Almost not there, all before that were whiter than white bfns

Bubblegum89 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:59:58

Thanks all. I think I'm out this month as my symptoms have all but disappeared today but I'll test maybe 14dpo if af hasn't arrived. I'm 100% sure she will though sad

Cakes140481 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:12:10

Oh these tests are stressing me out !!! Clear blue is my only positive but apparently they are not all that !? I've got internet cheaps n they are negative .

HollyMay84 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:22:41

Cakes I've had thin blue lines on clearblue before and not trusted them and only got these ones because I couldn't find a frer, but because my ones nice and fat I think it's a pretty good indicator smile well I hope so anyway...

Mehfruittea Sat 04-Feb-17 12:24:51

The one and only time I was pregnant I tested on a cheapie. After 5 years ttc and 2 rounds of IVF, I was an experienced POAS addict.

You have tested 1 day too early. The test is for HCG and an embryo does not produce it until 11dpo.

The below is really useful, it really helped me to stop testing too early!

1-4dpo ..embryo is growing and developing
5dpo... Embryo is now a blastocyst
6dpo....Blastocyst hatches out of shell on this day
7dpo.. Blastocyst attaches to a site on the uterine lining
8dpo.. Implantation begins,as the blastocyst begins to bury in the lining
9dpo.. Implantation process continues and morula buries deeper in the lining
10dpo.. Morula is completely inmplanted in the lining and has placenta cells &
fetal cells
11dpo...Placenta cells begin to secret HCG in the blood
12dpo...More HCG is produced as fetus develops
13dpo...More HCG is produced as fetus develops
14dpo...HCG levels are now high enough to be immediately detected on HPT

11dpo is the first day your body produces HCG at all, so there is no point in testing before this date!! I hope this helps someones else.

ps I got my on an internet cheapie at 11dpo! As I'd had IVF I knew my dates precisely.

Bubblegum89 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:44:18

Ooh thanks for that fruittea I know a lot of women when have got their bfp at 9-10dpo. Is that just an exception to the rule? The one I took today was SO negative it hurt pretty deep lol

Bubblegum89 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:51:15

This is the one I took this morning sad

HollyMay84 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:54:12

Ive had a strong BFP at 8dpo before on an asdas cheapie smile confirmed by bbt and scan dates. I think a lot of it is all down to when it implants and what tests you use to pick it up. If you really can't wait until missed af try a frer I've heard they're really good smile GL op x

Bubblegum89 Sat 04-Feb-17 13:02:18

Thank you smile did any of you "feel" implantation? If so, what did it feel like? On Wednesday night I goy a very sharp, shooting pain around my left ovary which almost made me jump out of my seat but not had anything like that before then or after it but think I'm overthinking it

Cakes140481 Sat 04-Feb-17 13:29:11

Bloody tests... bloody over thinking .... bloody give me cake!

Mehfruittea Sat 04-Feb-17 14:21:56

It's not an exact science (unless IVF!) and the difference in days can be down to a few things.

If you took OPK you could be -1 day and actually be 11dpo when you are dating at 10dpo.

Stubborn sperm can fertilise an egg +3 days after dtd, and eggs are fresh for 2 days so you could also be +2 days on your dating, not actually being 11 days since fertilisation until 13dpo based on OPK dates.

My dating and measuring scans were all 2-3 days out but NHS only sets due date via this method, even though we had IVF at the same hospital as the maternity unit. The inaccuracy of it drove me bonkers. I should have pushed more for it to be corrected tbh, but I felt like a knob moaning.

My baby was born perfectly healthy at 37+2. But it was actually 36 +6. This is classed as prem and I would have got free baby milk for him and saved a fortune!!

haveacupoftea Sat 04-Feb-17 18:28:48

One Step are shite, they're far from the 10 miu they say they are. I didnt feel implantation

10storeylovesong Sat 04-Feb-17 19:53:33

mehfruittea - where do you live where you get free baby milk for prem baby? My ds was born at 27 weeks and no hint of anything free!!

Mehfruittea Sat 04-Feb-17 20:58:20

It was NHS policy then, it was a few years ago so maybe it's changed? I hope your DS is doing well. I know we're really fortunate to have a happy healthy baby (fully fledged school child now!) I hope I didn't come across as being flippant about having a prem baby, I know free milk is really not the biggest concern at that time.

Bubblegum89 Sun 05-Feb-17 00:14:48

One of the girls I speak to on another forum showed me a photo she had of two tests side by side. A one step strip and a clear blue digi, both tested with same urine. The one step strip had no second line, the digi had pregnant 1-2 weeks! Strange. Maybe you do get what you pay for? I got 30 IC's for £2.50 :/ all this dpo and dates and stuff is so confusing. I think I ov'd on 15th as I got a positive the night before and had ov pains in my left ovary the next day. Just been to see my baby nephew and literally stole him for 3 hours and the smell... baby smell is the best lol I think I might get a frer and try Monday (13dpo) I've got a feeling af is on her way though

Mehfruittea Sun 05-Feb-17 11:35:20

I didn't actually see the line on the 11dpo test. It was so faint and I had prepared myself for 'not yet' as it was our last chance at IVF. DH looked and said afterwards that he thought there was one but because I said no he didn't say anything.

Next day at 12dpo I thought I could see a line and showed DH. He said straight away he was having it. He then got the test from day before out of the bin and when we held them up in bright sunlight we could see the faintest of lines and then a slightly darker one. It got darker each day and I kept checking (I had bought 50 of them!!) until our scan at 7 weeks that showed there was a heartbeat.

I also noticed recently in my GP surgery a tray of tests and they were all the same brand I used. IC are used by clinics and professional, the rest is expensive packaging sold to exploited women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now