Talk

Advanced search

Pound shop OPKs

(13 Posts)
Eminybob Wed 01-Feb-17 19:47:01

Do they actually work?
I've never had a positive on one, but I'm pretty sure I ovulate each month.

Anyone have success with these or am I wasting my pound?

sarahboro1 Wed 01-Feb-17 20:09:45

Maybe try investing in a good opk and running it alongside the pound shop ones, then you'll know either way and can either carry on with them or stop wasting your pound!! grin xx

satsoooma Wed 01-Feb-17 20:14:41

I don't know about the pound shop ones, but if cheapness is important, I can recommend the really cheap ones off Amazon. You can get 50 tests for about 15p per test. And there are loads of reviews about the accuracy. Personally I find they work.

Roseandbee Wed 01-Feb-17 20:18:40

I use the amazon ones and im getting a positive at my midcycle point. If your regular and you get any ovulation signs so no roughly when you ovulate, then its maybe worth testing more than once a day when your expecting to ovulate, personally i seem to get a long surge but for some people there is a risk of missing it if you only tested once a day

MsVTired Wed 01-Feb-17 20:21:11

i know the pound shop pregnancy tests work smile

satsoooma Wed 01-Feb-17 20:21:17

Sorry if this is obvious, but are you sure you are using the test right? Maybe you need to test earlier/later in your cycle. The time of day is also important, 2-8pm is ideal, and you need to make sure not to go to the loo or drink to much before hand.

If you are still worried that you are not ovulating, your GP can do a blood test 7 days before your period is due to make sure.

Eminybob Wed 01-Feb-17 20:27:30

I have been testing since cycle day 8 and usually test early evening, but will try other times.
I thought I was ovulating today as I've been getting cramps and have had ewcm the last few days but there's not even a sniff of a line on the opk.

Previous months have been the same. I had a v early miscarriage in December so definitely ov'd in November but had no positive test then either confused

Roseandbee Wed 01-Feb-17 20:40:59

hmm so you always getting no line? i generally always get at least a faint line and it starts to get darker before ov, which i believe is quite common as theres always meant to be a bit of LH in your system, and thats why the line needs to be as dark or darker for a positive surge. I know diff test have diff sensitivities so maybe try the amazon ones. but for some people the opk just wont work and really you should dtd the day before a positive opk, so it may not be a great method other than the fact it can help you pinpoint when you usually ovulate but if you get cramps then you probably already have a good idea

Eminybob Wed 01-Feb-17 20:57:57

Yeah, tbh we dtd every other day throughout the middle couple weeks of my cycle and I usually have an idea of ov from cramps etc so the opk's were just an added extra to try and increase chances. I have been looking into doing the sperm meets egg plan which calls for opk-ing.

MulderitsmeX Thu 02-Feb-17 18:27:45

I have NEVER got a positive result, I've tried different brands, different times of day, nothing works.

I know I am ovulating as I had a test at the doctor's and have also been pregnant so no idea why they never work....

Eminybob Fri 03-Feb-17 18:15:58

It's not just me then!

Eminybob Mon 06-Feb-17 20:12:44

Well I finally had a positive on Saturday.
I think I must be ovulating later in my cycle than I thought. Possibly why it's taking us longer to conceive than I would like.
Well this month may be the month now!

pancakelover2017 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:16:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now