Talk

Advanced search

Anyone's DH/DP with only one testicle?

(5 Posts)
Wavedancer Mon 26-Feb-07 14:16:53

My DH only has one functioning testicle. The doctors have said this shouldn't prove a problem when ttc but I can't help wondering. He hasn't had any sperm analysis done and probably won't consider it until we've been trying for a year. I had a miscarriage in November so I know we can conceive, but I'm wondering if his sperm count might not be lower than average and that we are actually trying too hard and using up all the sperm before the crucial 3 days each month!

I think this cycle I will try abstinence in the run-up to ovulation. We had a period of enforced abstinence on the month we did conceive, so I wonder if this wasn't the reason why.

Does anyone else have experiences of ttc with only one testicle?

Moomin Mon 26-Feb-07 14:26:45

Not me and dh, but my best friend. Her dh had testicular cancer 7 years ago. They already had one ds but they thought they might want another so they had some of his sperm frozen as he was only left with one testicle after the op and also had chemo.
They fell pg with their 2nd ds naturally within 6 months of the chemo ending, without really trying.

and now they are expecting no.3 which has been a total accident! Doesn't seem to have made a differnce to them. Think it's more to do with quality of sperm than having both testicles working tbh.

Moomin Mon 26-Feb-07 14:29:45

and by the way, the best way all round is just to try and have sex every 2 or 3 days althrough your cycle. It doesn't work 'saving it up' as the quality of sperm drops drastically after 4 or 5 days of not ejaculating. If you can't manage it throughout your cycle, best way is to try every 2/3 days from day 10 to day 21 or something like that. Most woman ovulate around days 14-17 and if there's plenty of sperm around to meet it on its way down that should do the trick! Good luck x

Wavedancer Mon 26-Feb-07 14:37:08

Thanks Moomin, that's great news about your friend. Thanks also for the advice, I didn't realise that sperm quality dropped after 4 or 5 days. We've been doing the opposite, i.e every day leading up to ovulation. I'm now going to try the 'every other day' route and see how that goes...

MuminBrum Mon 26-Feb-07 14:41:53

Many years ago, I had a boyfriend with only one ball. It wasn't relevant at the time as we were trying hard not to conceive, but I do know that he has gone on to be the proud father of three!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now