Talk

Advanced search

Before we start

(9 Posts)
NotAMammy Mon 30-Jan-17 22:17:01

Currently have the implant in, it's due to expire in February/March and I'm not planning on replacing it. We're planning on starting TTC later this year. I'm planning on discussing this with GP as well, but any information on what I should be doing now would be helpful.
I'm taking a multivit that contains folic acid since November. Is there anything else I should be taking that could help me and/or future baby's health?
Is there any particular month that's best for a baby to be conceived or born in?
Is there anything else I should be aware of? I'm a massive over-thinker so I'll likely have a billion and ten questions once we actually start ttc.

delilahbucket Tue 31-Jan-17 14:31:22

As long as you're taking folic acid you don't need to take anything else. Make sure you're a healthy weight and stop smoking if you currently do. Make sure your multi vitamin does not contain vitamin a as this is harmful in high doses to developing babies.

NotAMammy Tue 31-Jan-17 20:00:21

Thanks Delilah, I just checked and it has 50% RDA of vitamin A. I should be finished the pack before we start ttc, and am planning on changing to only folic acid, vit D & calcium as separate supplements then.
I've never smoked and I'm in or around my ideal BMI. I'm going to start back at the gym in March, so I should pretty much be at my healthiest too. I'm 30 so age shouldn't be too much of an issue.

We're getting a foreign holiday in at the start of summer too as I can't imagine we'll have too many over the next few years!

The fact that google just told me that goats cheese counts as a cheese you can't eat when pregnant may have just put a dampener on things...

Spam88 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:27:15

I think goats cheese is okay as long as it's pasteurised...? Or cooked presumably.

delilahbucket Tue 31-Jan-17 21:24:52

I wouldn't worry about things like that until you have a positive pregnancy test. We've been trying for two years so I think if I had avoided all the risky foods and alcohol I would have gone crazy by now!

Roseandbee Tue 31-Jan-17 22:00:04

Well I've just been to the doctors and there's some vaccines they like to know you've had, I'm doing a blood test tomorrow to see if I have rubella immunity. Think she also mentioned chlamydia testing but don't know if that's for ttc generally or for me because I was going about possible infertility. Other than that she made sure I was taking folic acid

Roseandbee Tue 31-Jan-17 22:05:57

Oh re birth month some people have preferences to do with the school yr a sept - Jan baby will be the oldest the class which may help academicly but it also means more childcare costs if you plan to return to work. A friend of mine wanted to avoided being heavily pregnant in the summer months just because this happened with her first and she said it was horrendous dealing with the heat

NotAMammy Tue 31-Jan-17 22:49:10

Thanks. I'm not overly concerned about the food, for some reason I just thought that you could eat goats cheese.
Rose my mum didn't think I ever had chicken pox so I asked to be tested for that last time I was at the docs, I think they checked the rubella immunisation too, apparently I had both so that shouldn't be a problem. I was actually surprised they didn't do any std checks when I got the implant fitted as obviously it removes any barriers. I'll see if she suggests it when I go.
Thanks for the info about months, I thought I'd seen people discuss it but wasn't sure why. I live up North so don't need to worry too much about hot summers, hopefully I can manage the three days of heat we get per year! grin
Were you at the doc for a preconception check? Is that just what you ask for? Sorry I feel like I can't really talk to anyone IRL about it at this stage.
Delilah, fingers crossed that you won't be waiting much longer.

Roseandbee Wed 01-Feb-17 16:12:18

I'm North tosmile my friend was living in central London at the time getting the tube to work (nightmare). I was going about infertility because I've been off birth control for over 2 years, although we weren't actively trying. The doc wasn't too concerned but I'd never seen this doc before so she was just checking I'd done all the "pre natal" checks, my other doc just mentioned folic acid. I didn't realise I'd been tested for chlamydia in 2015, she looked it up she & said quite often they just test you anyway if they are doing something else & she found a record of my vaccinations. So I'd say it's worth going in before hand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now