Talk

Advanced search

Pets detecting pregnancy

(10 Posts)
HopingForALittleOne Sat 28-Jan-17 22:09:11

Just curious - has anyone's pets picked up on your pregnancy in the first few weeks?

Not sure if silly question or if they would pick up on smell of change of hormones?

If this is possible when did your animal detect your pregnancy and did they behave differently to you?

Curious as I'm just starting TWW and wondering whether my dog or cats might do anything I can watch out for as early sign I'm pregnant ( is this taking spotting signs too far lol)

haveacupoftea Sun 29-Jan-17 09:10:28

Around 18 weeks one of my dogs started nesting when I was sitting beside her. Not sure if she's doing it for my benefit or if she has her own imaginary puppies to make a nest for though. The other dogs are oblivious.

SarahOoo Sun 29-Jan-17 09:17:45

My brothers cats noticed my sister in law was pregnant....my cat hasn't changed at all and I'm now 29 weeks. She couldn't care less!

Watto1 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:19:51

My cat wouldn't leave me alone when I was pregnant. He's back to ignoring me now the DC have been born!

Jenbob13 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:25:01

Im 36+1 day and my cat just thinks my warm round vibrating pillow is the best thing since sliced bread. She nests me like I am a giant egg.
But in the early days my furred felines really couldn't have give a monkeys, in fact hated me for moving them house on short notice. The only indication my lot gave me was when they padded on my boobs it hurt a hell of a lot more.

I do believe in that they can sense something though, clever conniving sods that they are.

passmethewine123 Sun 29-Jan-17 13:54:29

I almost made myself believe last month that my horse knew I was pregnant, this was during TWW hmm of course I wasn't pregnant and she likely wasn't behaving any differently I was just seeing what I wanted to see!

She can be a bit of a madam so it will be interesting if when I get pregnant if she does behave differently. I've read about horses that are usually difficult being much better behaved when their owner is pregnant, I live in hope haha!

ImBreakingBad Sun 29-Jan-17 18:17:11

My cat started following me around attempting to pee on me before we knew grin. Sadly ended up in MMC but it still makes me chuckle. They have a strange way of knowing these things at times!

AgainstTheOddsNo2 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:23:04

9 erksad tat is serror clingy. Though not sure if that is because he can sense something or because I am sitting down more....

HopingForALittleOne Sun 29-Jan-17 20:08:01

Thanks everyone it's really interesting to hear the different experiences - passthewine I particularly love the idea of your horse picking up on you becoming pregnant. Do keep us all updated!

I am 3 days post ovulation so keeping an eye on my dog and two cats closely smile

SuperManStoleMyPants Sun 29-Jan-17 20:11:37

My parents have a few dogs. When I last went over I was about 15 weeks pregnant. One dog wouldn't leave me alone and wouldn't let the other dogs near me. He's never been like it before so we concluded it must have been because I smell different. It was sweet and mean all in one! We had to separate him from the others and get them to take turns in cuddles and fuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now