Talk

Advanced search

TTC while breastfeeding and no period!

(12 Posts)
APMama Sat 28-Jan-17 19:47:27

Anyone had any experience with this?

My little girl is 3.5 months and we'd like to start trying for number 2! Exclusively breastfeeding (she doesn't generally need feeding overnight though) and have had no periods... any tips?!

X

daimbar Sat 28-Jan-17 19:49:28

It's unlikely you will have a period while breastfeeding. It's nature's way of saying you have enough on your plate!

What's the rush out of interest?

bakingmad83 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:40:32

I'm still feeding DS at 25 months and only got my period back 2 months ago, though he still feeds overnight. We decided ttc once af returned, as felt my body and DS ready for a sibling. However, know people with a small age gap and it works really well for them, so whatever is right for you smile

I guess dtd regularly is your best bet, as you may get lucky the first time you ovulate, though every other day with a young baby is maybe ambitious! Don't think we even managed very week till DS was 18 months smile

Good luck!

bakingmad83 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:41:35

that should read every!

APMama Sat 28-Jan-17 20:54:07

Daimbar - No particular hurry, just we are loving being parents, always wanted a big family with children close in ages and both work in the wedding industry so have quite summer heavy jobs so makes financial sense to try to have a baby in winter so its sort of start trying now or wait another year!

Bakingmad83 - wow you are doing so well! It's mad how long it can be before they come back isn't it. Too true I suppose just trying as frequently as our little one allows! Haha xx

bakingmad83 Sat 28-Jan-17 22:20:10

Thanks APMama. DS has always been a boob monster and as he's got a milk allergy, so wanted to keep up feeding till he was 2. At least now he'll have oat milk from a beaker and can distract him during the day, so really just before a nap/bedtime and then overnight. Just 2 molars left to come in and then I'm hoping the night waking will settle down, but famous last words! Hope you get the gap you're after smile

YokoUhOh Sat 28-Jan-17 22:24:24

I didn't conceive DS2 until I stopped BFeeding DS1 - at 32 months! I think it's nature's way of making sure you've got a bit of a gap between offspring.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 29-Jan-17 08:56:25

My DS was EBF around the clock but my periods still came back at 4 months.

We started trying for DC2 when DS was 1yr 9m and I was still breast feeding at this time though only 2-3 times in a 24 hour period.

Despite regular periods and tracking ovulation and DTD at all the right times I just wasn't falling pregnant.

A few people had passed comment that maybe me still breast feeding was the problem but I put it to the back of my mind as I was BF so infrequently (sometimes he'd go 48 hours without a single feed) I didn't think it could have an impact.

After my 9th month of trying and yet again failing to conceive I decided that I was going to stop breast feeding and see if that made a difference and on my next cycle of completely no breast feeding I got pregnant.

However, at the same time there are 100's of women who do get pregnant whilst breast feeding so I really don't think there are any hard and fast rules.

Just keep doing what you're doing and I hope you get your second baby soon flowers

KateR1980 Mon 30-Jan-17 11:02:32

We've been ttc #2 for 3 months so far. DD1 has just turned 1 and is having 2-3 feeds a day, trying to get her down to 2/day but some days she still has 3. I've had regular periods since I came off the mini pill a few months ago so hoping that that is a good sign. I'm torn between wanting to conceive sooner rather than later due to our ages but not wanting to wean DD for that reason only.

Good luck APMama and Bakingmad!

bakingmad83 Mon 30-Jan-17 22:15:51

Thanks Kate, you too!

APMama Tue 31-Jan-17 20:44:31

Thanks everyone. Good luck to you all! ❤❤

BabyMakingAgain Tue 07-Mar-17 10:00:23

Thank you for this thread. And especially your reply Writerwannabe83 - I have come to the realisation since reading it that I'm going to have to go cold turkey with DC1 because even though he's only feeding for 15 mins or so in the evenings, I just think nothing is going to happen until he's completely stopped. It's so hard. I really want my baby to be happy and I absolutely love feeding him, but since the day I had him I've wanted to do it all over again. 16 months down the line and I'm so, sooooo broody (I was never like this when ttc #1) but unfortunately age isn't really on our side, so I think it might be the only way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now