Talk

Advanced search

Previous unexplained infertility?

(6 Posts)
user1471496670 Sat 28-Jan-17 09:56:04

My DP had previously tried for a baby with his ex for 1.5-2yrs. They both had tests which came back normal and were diagnosed with unexplained infertility.
Does this mean we will encounter similar problems?
We're currently on Cycle 4.

user1471496670 Sat 28-Jan-17 23:52:26

Anyone any thoughts? 😌

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 30-Jan-17 15:40:28

I don't think it means that at all, please try not to worry. 4 months is such a short time, though I know it feels like forever!

How old are you both? A lot of people don't get to the tests stage until they've been ttc for 2 years, particularly if you're under 35 and the tests are through the NHS.

Unexplained means simply that, that for some reason people aren't managing to conceive but the test results come back clear and there's no obvious reason for it.

If you can, focus on eating healthily, sleeping well, keeping alcohol consumption low, quit smoking if either of you do, exercise - all the usual boring stuff - and make sure you're having enough sex. While we all know people who get pregnant at the drop of a hat, it's not like that for most of us and you're best off dtd every other day throughout your cycle to cover your bases.

A fertility app is really handy too. Ovia is free to download and a good way of tracking your cycle so you know when you're likely to be fertile.

WelshMammy123 Tue 31-Jan-17 07:21:34

Hi,

As PP mentioned, unexplained infertility means that they haven't found anything obvious wrong but for whatever reason it's just not happening. It's so frustrating a diagnosis as a result! My DH and I tried for 3.5 years and went through an unsuccessful IVF cycle after a diagnosis of unexplained infertility. We conceived naturally the cycle after the ivf failed - no idea how or why! We have a DD as a result. Last year I conceived easily a further 2 times - both of which sadly ended in losses but did suggest to me that the problems we'd had before had been somehow rectified.

Try not to worry - on reflection now I don't think my obsession with all things TTC was helpful - but depending on your age perhaps see your GP for a chat about some initial tests as these might help to allay any fears you have. Good luck xx

user1471496670 Tue 31-Jan-17 08:09:08

Thank you both so much! Really kind (and sensible!) and has really helped.
DP is 40 and I'm 38 so time is tight which probably doesn't help my anxiety.
I feel a lot happier and more positive this month so will just see what happens...will give it another couple before going to the GP and just hope we don't have to smile
I've got the Ovia app installed and we both have very high sex drives so have sex every day anyway (although DP does work away a few nights a week).

curliegirlie Tue 31-Jan-17 08:29:14

The app itself won't tell you anything useful unless you combine it with temping and/or OPKs, as it will just assume you have a 'standard' cycle.

I haven't had unexplained infertility but when ttc DD1 I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and my DH had a very low sperm count. We had been trying for 16 months, I'd started taking thyroid meds, and we were booked in for various fertility tests when I got my BFP. In fact, I should have had an HSG the month we conceived but I postponed it because we were going away on holiday...!

In any case, as other posters have said, just because they had problems doesn't mean that you will, but being over 35 should mean that you can start investigations after 6 months if you're worried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now