Talk

Advanced search

OPINIONS ON LUTEAL PHASE FLUCTUATION

(10 Posts)
Ready Sat 24-Feb-07 15:11:32

It was my understanding that the luteal phase is supposedly always the same length. I had read that while the day of ovulation can often change the luteal phase does not. With this in mind I am somewhat surprised when looking over my last few months of charts.

My luteal phase looks on paper to differ.
Do you think that my LP is fluctuating or do you think it is more likely that the charts, and day of ovulation are open to misinterpretation??

Based on FF software predictions
Oct/Nov: OV CD15, 27day cycle therefore LP=12days
Nov/Dec: OV CD15, 28day cycle therefore LP=13days
Dec/Jan: OV CD16, 28day cycle therefore LP=12 days
Jan/Feb: OV CD14, 28day cycle therefore LP=14days

Thanks

Greenblock Sat 24-Feb-07 15:18:17

Do you think if you did it in hours rather than days it might not look like such a variation?

(I'm probably being dense tbh)

Ready Sat 24-Feb-07 15:20:27

Not dense at all Greenie (can I call you Greenie??) I have often wondered what difference there would be if we worked in hours as opposed to days. In all honesty, there isn't a great amount of variation between the days, but I was just curious really.

londonlottie Sat 24-Feb-07 15:25:42

Message withdrawn

Greenblock Sat 24-Feb-07 15:27:29

awwwwwww ... you can call me whatever you want lovely!

rahrah1 Sat 24-Feb-07 15:38:41

I think I read that th luteal phase is normally on the same day or a day either side for most women. So I think it can vary slightly.

Ready Sat 24-Feb-07 15:49:51

Thanks girls. All things I have wondered myself. It feels good to have someone else say them, as I often wonder if I try and convince myself of solutions to make myself feel better.

seaside72 Sat 24-Feb-07 19:09:31

Ready - of the cycles that I have kept track of OV by tests and now temping (only 3- with this month as my fourth) my LP has been different everytime 11, 13 & 15 days - who knows?

I didn't even know the LP was supposed to be the same each month until Lottie told me yesterday I think

mum03 Sat 24-Feb-07 21:28:02

Copied from Fertility friend:

"I thought the luteal phase was not supposed to vary. Why does my chart show that my luteal phase varies from cycle to cycle?

The luteal phase (the time between ovulation and menstruation) does not usually vary much from cycle to cycle, while the follicular phase (the time between menstruation and ovulation) can vary considerably. A variance of more than a day or two in your luteal phase usually means that ovulation may have occurred earlier or later than your chart indicates on one or more cycles and you may need to make some adjustments to your charts. You can use the manual override feature or the ovulation detection tuners to make adjustments.

Alternately, if you are unable to determine a more likely date, you may need to exclude one or more cycles from your statistics (Menu Data/Cycles).

If it is taking a long time to conceive and you are sure that you are charting accurately, a varying luteal phase length is something you may want discuss with your doctor."

mum03 Sat 24-Feb-07 21:30:44

So fertility friend suggests that up to 2 days difference is ok, so Ready your variation from 12 to 14 days is normal! That is what I always understood anyway. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now