Talk

Advanced search

Need hand holding! Positive test after 3 years, 3 chemicals and 1 miscarriage!

(27 Posts)
10storeylovesong Sat 21-Jan-17 17:46:29

As the title says really. We've been ttc #2 for 3 years this month. I had 3 chemicals and a miscarriage between Jan and Jun last year and nothing since. I don't know what made me test this morning - on CD25, no symptoms other than tiredness and I have a chest infection so put it down to that and it wasn't FMU... but anyway, test I did mid morning and this came up within about 30 seconds.

Now I'm terrified. Why on earth have I done this to myself again?!

QuilliamCakespeare Sat 21-Jan-17 18:47:56

flowers I really hope this one works out for you. Congratulations smile

ImaLannister Sat 21-Jan-17 18:59:23

I've had 2 chemicals & 1 MMC last year. I've learnt not to test so early now, as the chemical could happen again a few days after a positive test. Just setting yourself up for upset & disappointment incase it happens again. With both my chemicals I was in tears on the toilet.
Your best off waiting 2 weeks or so after missed period, that way you will more than likely have passed the chemical pregnancy stage.
But I know it's so hard to try to resist not testing.

onedsrightnow Sat 21-Jan-17 19:14:28

Really hope this is your time x

SofiePendragon Sat 21-Jan-17 19:21:45

Your previous experiences don't mean this pregnancy is doomed to fail. Right now you are pregnant, enjoy this moment and know that your previous experiences will help you deal with the future whatever it brings. Good luck!

10storeylovesong Sat 21-Jan-17 19:56:06

Thanks for all your responses. I have been trying to avoid testing early but at the same time, I had some tests under the recurrent miscarriage clinic and they told me to ring the EPU as soon as I found out I was pregnant for blood tests as I may need progesterone. So at the same time, I didn't want to leave it too late. Feeling so torn about it all. I was at 5 weeks for the 3 chemicals and 6 weeks for the miscarriage, and had clear symptoms (being sick etc) so I would have known on each occasion anyway.

I kept telling myself that Sofie, then I read an article that said if you have 4 consecutive losses it increases your chance of a 5 th loss to 50%. I don't know how scientifically true it is, but it keeps playing on my mind.

SofiePendragon Sat 21-Jan-17 21:14:34

I have no idea if that is true but even if it is, that means there is a 50% chance that you won't have a fifth miscarriage.

And the odds of a further loss might be reduced if you need progesterone so it sounds like you've done exactly the right thing. Most people know they're pregnant by 5 weeks whether they test early or not.

Have you contacted EPU or do you have to wait till Monday?

ImaLannister Sat 21-Jan-17 21:45:57

Are Chemicals classed as miscarriages? Scientifically they are really really early miscarriages but nothing would show up on a scan due to it being so small. Sounds like the one you lost at 5 weeks was a MC, and maybe not chemical. Chemical is when the fertilised egg doesn't attach itself the uterus properly, the egg fails to survive. So you then have a late period as the outcome.
But yours at 5 weeks did survive & was growing.
It's so shit isn't it. I had bloods done. Doctor requested 12 bottles, nurse kept asking me if I felt faint n I was just laughing saying no I feel fine!
I have a follow up appointment with the gynaecologist in Feb to discuss my results.
So I'm hoping they will be able to shed some light on why I'm struggling to carry, and maybe have some answers.
Best of luck to you.

10storeylovesong Sun 22-Jan-17 08:46:13

Our EPU is apt based and you have to ring between 9-12 Mon-Fri to make an apt which is a bit rubbish.

My GP classes anything up till 5 weeks as a chemical, but as I got to the GP early and asked for blood tests to confirm, they will class them as losses for the miscarriage clinic.

Good luck with your results - I really hope you get some answers. Mine came back all clear so none the wiser!

ImaLannister Sun 22-Jan-17 09:10:33

Got a feeling mine will come back all clear (hopefully!) As I'd rather nothing be wrong with me and would like to put it down as bad luck etc and think that I was always the one as the 1 in 4 pregnancies that end early. Coz that's the stats apparently. Shockingly high.
By all means tho none of this doesn't mean that we won't get there in the end.
If I come back as fine then my DP is getting his swimmers checked, we've already spoken about it, as it could be defect sperms etc, so you might want to bring that up with your DP too.
I had my MMC at 9 weeks.
But both chemicals was one month after the other and they happened 2-4 days after a positive test.
I'm very surprised they class 5 weeks as chemical, because if you look on all pregnancy apps/info etc the baby is already quite advanced at that stage with a beating heart etc.
I haven't had a regular cycle since my chemicals, coz I've just kept on ttc tbh. Feeling really bloaty n periody now n AF should be due in next few days. Hoping I do have my AF coz it will mean I will be back to my regular cycles, but at the same time I will be upset that I didn't catch on this month.
Meh confused

ImaLannister Sun 22-Jan-17 09:11:12

Good luck with you, hope this one sticks! grinwink

10storeylovesong Sun 22-Jan-17 09:32:49

I think that was part of the problem last year, I just kept on ttc without giving my body time to rest in between. After one of my chemicals I bled for 2 weeks and had to have two lots of hormones (can't remember what they were called) to stop the bleeding. I was so ill with it as well which my GP said was very unusual as should have just been a heavy period. I honestly think it was because I didn't give my body rest - easier said than done, i know!

Dh has had all the tests as well - all clear. And we've had genetic testing to see if we just don't get along - genetically speaking - and alls fine there too. They genuinely have no idea what's causing it!

ImaLannister Sun 22-Jan-17 09:55:17

I would like to say it's just one of those things but that's not a nice way of putting it is it?
Especially when herion addicts, and people not even wanting kids etc just have them so easily.
I know lots of friends/women who had numerous miscarriages & ttc for quite a while and they got successful in the end. We can't give up hope, and no reason too either.
It's good that there is nothing wrong with both of you. Just keep on trying I guess.
I think it's a good idea for me to to stop ttc for a bit yeah n let my body have at least 2 regular cycles so ovulation will be more accurate.
These failed pregnancies have happened for a reason. Can be the slightest chromosome that is out of sync and that can cause it. Would just help if we could pin point exactly tho I know.
Fingers crossed for you! I will let you know how my appointment goes. But it's not until mid Feb. 😩

ImaLannister Sun 22-Jan-17 09:55:41

Spelt heroin wrong* my bad!

10storeylovesong Tue 24-Jan-17 08:08:12

Looks like another chemical. I got into EPU yesterday and they gave me progesterone and extra strength folic acid, but I started with some red blood and stomach cramps overnight. There's not a lot of blood yet but it's bright red but it looks like my period starting,

ImaLannister Tue 24-Jan-17 08:31:01

Oh my, sorry lovestory.
Because of my 2 last chemicals I feel like I can't even get excited if I tested day after missed period because I would dread it happening again.
What is life when we dread taking a pregnancy test, in what is supposed to be a happy life changing moment?
Bloody shit, that's what is is.
I've been feeling so periody & bloaty, all period symptoms. Should be due to come on around tomorrow (but don't know exact as it's first period since chemical).
If AF appears then so be it, if it doesn't I'm not testing, simply because I'm scared of being happy then it all happening again.

10storeylovesong Tue 24-Jan-17 09:47:11

It's shit isn't it?? I feel for you. I really hope that af doesn't show her ugly face and that you get the result you want.

ImaLannister Tue 24-Jan-17 09:55:46

I'm expecting AF to be honest (I've been getting period farts, you know the ones... - lighten the mood!)
So I'm not even thinking I might be pregnant.
I'd like my AF so that I have my first proper period, so I'd be back on track. But we will see, I'm not thinking about it.
I can't believe it has happened to you again.
First time I got pregnant I didn't even know about chemicals, never heard of them, wasn't aware. Got a positive test and I thought that was it, pregnant, celebrate. But now I think the complete opposite.

10storeylovesong Tue 24-Jan-17 13:37:17

My bleeding stopped again around 9 this morning and nothing since. I have read that the progesterone suppositories can cause bleeding so god knows what's happening.

ImaLannister Tue 24-Jan-17 17:14:15

Just have to wait. That's all you can do. So annoying 😡

ImaLannister Wed 25-Jan-17 23:31:45

Hello AF! Knew you was going to arrive! I didn't think I was pregnant tbh. I was too periody. I'm glad because this is my first proper period since my chemicals. So I'm back to normal cycle now which in turn will hopefully be better for my trying.

10storeylovesong Thu 26-Jan-17 12:48:01

I'm sorry to hear that, but at least as you say you know your cycles are back to normal now so better for trying again. Good luck with it all!

ImaLannister Mon 30-Jan-17 02:27:55

Thank you! You too! 🤗

ImaLannister Thu 02-Feb-17 17:50:43

There was a episode on Jeremy Kyles emergency room yesterday about a woman that couldn't conceive. We can conceive but it was interesting what they diagnosed etc. You should watch it on catch up.
Did you just have another chemical or has this one stuck?

Rubberubberduckduck Sat 04-Feb-17 07:02:59

There is such a thing as hyper fertility where instead of your body being selective about quality of egg and sperm it fertilises regardless and then ends up in a cp when it's not right. This is what the rmc told me.

I conceived on our 1st month of ttc. Then the second, then the third. Had a month off and tried again, conceived but was ectopic. Had to wait 3 months and on month one of ttc I was pregnant again. You couldn't make it up! I too had the all clear on my tests done by the rmc but by this point I honestly didn't believe I would be able to have a successful pregnancy.

I'm pleased to tell you that after constant worry, heart break and general frustration I am now looking at my 11 weeks old DD.

I wanted to tell you so you know there is always hope at the end of a bloody long road.

Best of luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now