Talk

Advanced search

When to go to the docs?

(5 Posts)
cakesandphotos Fri 20-Jan-17 16:39:49

DH and I have been TTC for a year now. I'm starting to wonder if we should see the doctor. I'm 27 (28 next month) and he's 25 so we're still young I realise (although it doesn't feel that way sometimes!)
Things are further complicated because I have rheumatoid arthritis and I've been off my proper medication since October 2015. Although I am on a TTC friendly medication, it doesn't work very well so every day something hurts. I feel like we've been TTC since I came off my meds although we haven't. Should we see a doctor or just plug away a bit longer? I probably wouldn't be as bothered if it wasn't for the RA. Thanks smile

Gooseygoosey12345 Fri 20-Jan-17 16:43:54

No harm in visiting your GP. You may not be offered any help yet but it'll be logged so they can see how long it's been with nothing happening. I'd book an appointment. Good luck flowers

SheepyFun Fri 20-Jan-17 16:57:07

It took us a while to conceive DD, and I looked up the stats - 84% of couples conceive in the first year, and of the 16% who don't, half will go on to conceive in the second year of trying. We were fortunate to conceive in that second year. There's no harm in going to the GP to discuss options, but friends tell me that not all the tests are much fun - what you're willing to try is up to you and your DH.

WelshMammy123 Fri 20-Jan-17 17:25:42

Hi,

Absolutely no harm in seeing your GP. They might do some initial tests for you (day 2 and 21 tests) and perhaps a semen analysis even at this stage which might help. If they won't do this then at least you're 'in the system' as it were.

It did unfortunately take us a long time to conceive our DD. We had all the tests - and even one round of IVF - we were 'unexplained' in terms of why it wasn't happening. We did eventually get there - DD was conceived naturally the month after the IVF failed.

It is worth reassuring yourself with some of the stats as previously mentioned. For some reason it does seem to take some of us a bit longer for no reason at all but worth seeing your GP if you're worried xx

Dolwar Sat 21-Jan-17 18:32:52

Yes anyone under 35 can go to see their gp after 12 months of ttc for some fertility tests. If you're over 35 then you can go after just 6 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now