Talk

Advanced search

Good news stories please

(10 Posts)
greenwolf Wed 18-Jan-17 17:23:56

I'm 31 nearly 32. Been ttc since spring 2014. In 2015 I had endometriosis diagnosed and treated through a laparoscopy. I got pregnant after this (took about 4 months) but tragically lost our little one in the middle of pregnancy. Been ttc since then, over 6 months ago, but no luck. GP won't refer us to obs and gynae until we've been trying for a year again - although in reality we've been trying to have a baby for nearly three years. Because we conceived naturally before we have 'proven fertility', hence the reluctance to refer and because endometriosis pain isn't a big enough deal

Please tell me your success stories of longer than normal route to family and conception with endometriosis. It's been a very long 3 years.

Chintaria Wed 18-Jan-17 19:52:08

Hi greenwolf, our story has similarities to yours. I had ds in 2007 (I was 31) and although I didn't realise it I had pretty severe endometriosis. It took us 10 months to fall pg with him, and that was after an early miscarriage the month before. We then started ttc again in 2008, but I ended up having two miscarriages that year. No luck in 2009 - I diagnosed myself with endo, and had a laparoscopy like you. The month after the lap I fell pregnant again, but we sadly lost our little boy during the second trimester.
We carried on trying, and ended up resorting to IVF, which worked on the fifth round. I am convinced that my body was just rejecting all the embryos as I had lots of early miscarriages. Whether that was to do with the trauma of losing the last baby I don't know, but I tried CBT to see if that helped as well. I ended up taking steroids in the cycle that worked, so who knows if that made the difference. Anyway, we had dd in 2014 so after all our heartache we did have a happy ending.
We went through such tough times, but I have to say that everything was worth it to have our family.
I'm so sorry that you're having a struggle as well, but even if you do have to wait for help (and I know from experience that it feels like it will be neverending) you know you have been pregnant before, and that has to give you hope for the future.
I am always wary of sharing the details of what happened to us, as I don't want people to think that they will continue down such a troubled path. I have to say that my story is in the minority (thank goodness) and I have every hope that you will get your happy ending sooner rather than later.
Is IVF an option for you?

greenwolf Wed 18-Jan-17 23:33:54

Hi Chintaria,
Thanks for sharing your story - so glad you have got your happy ending. And sorry you went through such tough times to get there.
I suspect we may be candidates for IVF, eventually. This was mentioned when I had the lap, but since I became pregnant after the lap, it hasn't been mentioned again. I am quite fearful of IVF, and I'm hopeful that having got pregnant once naturally, it may be possible again. Was IVF terrible? Or bearable? I have so little understanding of what the process involves.

WelshMammy123 Thu 19-Jan-17 07:43:27

Hi Green,

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I don't have endometriosis but it did take us 3.5 years to conceive our DD. We had all the tests and we're told it was 'unexplained'. We eventually went through one round of IVF. It didn't work but I fell pregnant naturally the month after the IVF and my DD is the result. No idea how that happened but often wondered if the ivf 'fixed' something!

I know everyone's experience of IVF is different but I found it fine. It's an odd process in terms of the injections etc and there are some more painful elements but I would absolutely go through it again if I needed to despite the fact that it didn't work for us. It's emotionally tough but then so is trying every month and it not happening. I suppose I at least felt there was a degree of control with the ivf which I didn't feel in a normal trying naturally cycle.

There is no reason why the fact you fell pregnant should affect your ivf or its timing as far as I know. The fact you did conceive though is a good sign that it can happen and hopefully will again. Good luck xx

Perpetualstateofchaos Thu 19-Jan-17 07:51:04

Hi I was diagnosed with endometriosis at 19 I was told I wouldn't be able to have children. I was put on hot and zoladex after the lap. 2 months after zoladex ended and 1 year after the lap I fell pregnant with ds1. I had a mc when he was 3 then ds2 at 25.

greenwolf Fri 20-Jan-17 22:32:30

Hello Welsh and Perpetual -
Thank you for sharing! I'm surrounded by people who have got pregnant really easily and in some cases accidentally. This makes me feel bitter (I'm working on not feeling bitter, because I love them all) - but also like I'm a freak and it's never going to happen for me. It's just good to have some stories about families taking a little longer to arrive. But that they do still arrive. So thanks for taking the time to share xx

SaltySeaBird Fri 20-Jan-17 22:41:14

I have a similar story with a happy ending.

18 months trying, operation, fell pregnant, had a miscarriage. Refused to see me again for a year but fell pregnant before end of that and result is my amazing little girl. Tried again for DC2 for a year, had appointment and clomid, fell pregnant but miscarried. Waited another year, found out I was pregnant on day of appointment and my son is snoring in the cot beside me as I type.

It was a long, tough road. We are very lucky and prove it can happen.

Chintaria Sat 21-Jan-17 14:57:54

Hi green, having heard all sorts of horrible things about IVF previously, I thought it was fine!! Obviously everyone is different, but physically it caused no problems whatsoever. The emotional side is another matter however... Every day during the process is intense, and there's no escaping it. It is quite literally an emotional rollercoaster, and having to pick myself up again after failed cycles was one of the most difficult things I've had to do. After the fourth round I was devastated and just about ready to give up, but then a couple of days later I felt stronger again so we tried again. I am thankful every day that we did.
If you do end up going down that route, don't worry too much about the injections/hormones etc. I know lots of people who have been through it, and none if them had any physical side effects smile

greenwolf Sat 21-Jan-17 17:52:00

Long roads are fine if you know you'll get there eventually. Uncertainty sucks. Thanks Salty - so lovely to hear that your precious little one is there beside you. And that's reassuring Chintaria that IVF is not so bad physically. My husband and I are also working hard to get into better physical shape (we're a bit overweight at the moment) so we hope that shedding some lbs may help with conception. Really what I want is a crystal ball!

Chintaria Sat 21-Jan-17 22:42:57

Green I felt exactly the same, so much so that I went to see a tarot card reader in London. I was desperate & was willing to cling to any shred of hope I could glean - she was brilliant and absolutely spot on! Told me lots of things about other stuff in my life too, and said that I would definitely have a baby & that she thought it would be a girl. Weird hey! Just wanted you to know you're not alone... I have everything crossed for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now