Talk

Advanced search

Those FRER things

(8 Posts)
MrsG30 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:11:27

Hi,

So I've seen the word FRER passed around while staking posts, and a quick google has told me they are basically pg tests for before your period?

My questions:
Are they accurate?
Are they worth it?
How many days prior to AF can you test?
Would you recommend?

My plan was to wait until the morning my period was due then test - my body has a lovely habit of making me think I'm PG, late period, do a test and get BFN then I come on a few hours later! Now we're actively trying, I want to test as early as possible as I just want to know (this tww is awful!)

Any help appreciated!

TIA smile

haveacupoftea Tue 17-Jan-17 22:15:46

Yes they are accurate, if you are pregnant you should get a positive at 11/12 DPO. They are the gold standard of pregnancy tests - extremely reliable.

MrsG30 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:17:31

Thanks haveacupoftea and brands particularly good? I want to take advantage of the boots 3 for 2 offer 😊

haveacupoftea Tue 17-Jan-17 22:24:22

First Response Early Result is the only brand - see initials FRER smile

MrsG30 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:31:19

*facepalm! I thought first response early result was what they were all called - doh! Ordered the first response x3 (seeing as they're the only ones I can get 😂)

HopingForALittleOne Sat 21-Jan-17 21:08:47

Haha I went into boots the other day to look for pregnancy tests I picked up the clear blue digital ones and was looking on the side of the packet to see if it was a FRER tester and then I realised FRER was the acronym - doh! blush

IndianaMoleWoman Sun 22-Jan-17 04:38:48

They are accurate very early.

However, I don't want to sound like a party pooper but they can cause so much anguish. If you get a positive, say, four days before your missed period (like I always have) it makes those early, anxious weeks feel sooo much longer. Also, if you insist on testing with loads of different brands (also me) it can be stressful when they take a few more days to be positive.

And then there's the chemical pregnancy: basically, the embryo implants and your body starts to produce a tiny amount of pregnancy hormone (HCG), you get a positive, then something goes wrong and your period arrives on the expected date or slightly late. This happened to me once, a few cycles after a miscarriage, and was very upsetting. If I hadn't have tested with a FRER, I would never have known. But then again, some women would want to know.

I am a massive hypocrite to say this but try and wait until the day of your missed period. The result is likely to be more accurate (i.e. more likely to be a genuine pregnancy and not a chemical) and you're not wasting money on expensive tests when it might still be too early for you to test if you implanted later than expected in your cycle.

Gosh that was long! Good luck on your TTC journey.

MrsG30 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:26:35

Glad it's not just me hoping!

indiana I thought this when I first heard about them. I think I'd rather not know? I'll test on Sunday which is when af is due, as I find thinking there is a chance I'm pg makes her late! Thank you for the advice and words of caution smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now