Talk

Advanced search

help! google is confusing me!

(8 Posts)
harrypotternerd Tue 17-Jan-17 21:22:56

I was googling tips on ttc. Some articles have said to dtd every second day and other articles have said that is a myth and dtd every day. Which is right? So confused! hope someone can help. Any other tips while ttc will be much appreciated too smile

Oysterbabe Tue 17-Jan-17 22:01:40

I realise this is a sample of 1, but the month I conceived is the one where we DTD at least once a day, often twice. We conceived on the 5th cycle. Other months were roughly every other day.

harrypotternerd Tue 17-Jan-17 22:11:44

thanks. There is just so much conflicting information out there

MouseLove Wed 18-Jan-17 08:36:33

And on the flip side. I DTD only 4x and it looks like none were near ovulation as I had negative OPK. So every other day would be enough since sperm stays active for up to 5 days. It's more important to relax and enjoy. The cycle I got my BFP I wasn't actually trying as I was waiting for an MRI scan. X

WelshMammy123 Wed 18-Jan-17 09:41:49

I'm not convinced there's any rhyme or reason! I conceived twice last year (unfortunately both resulted in losses) but the first time we only dtd once in the fertile period and the second time we were on holiday so it was more like every day. Now we're trying again and we're trying to do every other day from day 6-18 ish of my cycle. Given how long sperm can live for I figure this gives us the best chance of everything being in the place it needs to be when it needs to be there! I also think the sperm meets egg plan makes sense. Not sure if you've read about that?

I do think that trying not to put too much pressure on yourself is important as well - it took us over 3 years to conceive our DD and I'm convinced the pressure I put on us had an impact on why it took so long.

Sadly though I don't know what the magic formula is for making sure you don't put too much pressure on yourself. I can already feel myself doing it again now we're TTC again! Good luck! X

Starfish33 Wed 18-Jan-17 09:55:55

Hi all!

Welsh, thanks for this thread; it's something I've also wondered about after Googling.

Mouse, your post gives me hope this morning. I had a smiley face on my CB OPK on Monday morning (CD 10) so DTD that night. Wanted to do it again last night but my DH couldn't finish (any advice as to what to do to help would be appreciated - trying so hard not to put pressure on him but want to get pregnant so much! I just hope DTD every other day-ish will work). This morning, I did another OPK and had 'low fertility' (blank circle), so am a bit confused as thought this should be my fertile week? confused

Baby dust x

HungryHorace Wed 18-Jan-17 13:52:04

If you google the Sperm Meets Egg Plan it recommends EoD from (I think, it's been a while since I looked at it) CD 8.

It is WAY better to have sperm waiting before you OV than waiting until you get a positive OPK and then having sex. Eggs only stay viable for 24 hours and sperm has to be inside you for 10 hours before it's capable of fertilising an egg (called capacitation). However, sperm lives for 5-7 days, so will happily hang about waiting for an egg!

If there's any low sperm count issues, the advice changes, and you should do it less (to get more bang for your buck, as it were!).

FWIW, the two times I've conceived we've DTD more than EoD but not as much as ED! 😁 And never on the day I got a smiley (first time we had to get up at the crack of dawn for a very long day / night out and I've no idea what happened the second time...maybe DD was ill!). Both times we DTD the night before and the the after my smiley (plus a fair bit prior to that as well).

Hopefully this helps!

NerrSnerr Wed 18-Jan-17 13:54:31

We were very lucky and got pregnant first month trying both times. We were having sex every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now