Talk

Advanced search

Dental X-ray during 2ww

(6 Posts)
Upforathird Fri 13-Jan-17 17:09:00

Hi all

Just after some advice. I went to the dentist today and was given an X-ray. I didn't realise I was going to have one and it was decided all of a sudden and done very quickly. It was only after I thought SHIT! They don't do X-rays in pregnancy and could be pregnant! (I'm only 2 dpo at the moment so technically not pregnant but there could be a sperm fertilising an egg floating around in there!) I've just read that X Rays in pregnancy can increase the risk of childhood cancer and scared myself majorly. Am I over reacting? And of course I might not even be pregnant this month!!

Addtothechaos Fri 13-Jan-17 17:33:45

Hi Op

Hope your well (dental issue aside!) Funny enough I went the dentist last week and asked this very same question! (I'm 4dpo but pre ov at time) My very lovely, very qualified and experienced dentist whome I love to bits told me DO NOT WORRY about X-rays during ttc or even during any stage of pg. She said you can always ask for a lead apron to cover your stomach but even a lot of dentists don't do that anymore! She also said a summer time week in Cornwall was more risky than a dental Xray! (Or something to that nature lol)

Anyway she did say if you end up pg then it is advisable to wait and have any work done during middle trimester. Unless it's an infection and needs doing right away as dental abscess etc can impact on baby so better to weigh up risk of infection and have the treatment of its urgent.

Just to say (as you've guessed) I'm not medical at all but this was the advise I was given and if you need reassurance then contact your dentist smile

Good luck ttc! X

Addtothechaos Fri 13-Jan-17 17:35:47

Also, my dentist did say that pregnancy safe antibiotics are even available if needed (if it's urgent!) X

Upforathird Fri 13-Jan-17 17:46:11

Thanks for the reply addtothechaos. I'm really annoyed that she didn't ask me actually and it was all said so casually that I didn't get a chance to even think about it until afterwards. I did ask her and she said that they don't X-ray pregnant women but that the risk was very low. She looked quite panicked actually. Mainly because I think she should have asked and didn't.

Addtothechaos Fri 13-Jan-17 17:53:29

She should have asked you. Is it your regular dentist?

My dentist has over 20 years experience and was nhs but now denplan so she has worked with a huge variety of dentists/practices. She actually bought the practice 20 years ago with her husband. She has seen her patients children grow up so I am confident she would give the best advise and know of any risks, however small.

I really wouldn't worry about it and put it down to experience. It will seem so trivial in a few years when your child/ren are grown (I mean that in a nice way!)

And you can always ask for lead apron if in doubt next time and need urgent work doing!

This ttc lark is a minefield isn't it! X

Upforathird Fri 13-Jan-17 18:01:23

I know it is! She was very young and my previous dentist had left so she had replaced her. I think she'll have learnt a lesson from it that's for sure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now