Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

TTC and first smear test :(

(15 Posts)
DarcyParty Thu 12-Jan-17 13:31:58

Hi guys, first post here smile

We're currently ttc #1 but I've been invited for my first smear test at my new gp (I'm 24). Will this cause any problems? I don't want to miss the test, but I'm worried it could do harm if I fall pregnant beforehand.

Need some sage advice please, thanks!

delilahbucket Thu 12-Jan-17 13:42:07

It isn't known to cause issues, however I had a smear three days before AF was due so I did a first response early result on the day before I went. I also mentioned it to the nurse.
When is af due for you?

Ashleigh9917 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:49:33

When you ring to book the app, ask the receptionist? I imagine it wouldn't cause problems when ttc, and probably wont if pregnant as I imagine there are a lot of internal exams during pregnancy.

DarcyParty Thu 12-Jan-17 13:53:59

Thanks Delilah smile
It's tricky because I wasn't regular before the pill and I've only had one AF since coming off. If I'm true to a 28 day cycle then it should be the 31st. I know the chances of conceiving on the first month of trying are small, but I'll definitely do a test beforehand like you say. Have to admit I'm pretty scared of the test, doesn't sound nice at all!!

DarcyParty Thu 12-Jan-17 13:56:40

I'll do that Ashleigh, just as soon as I suck it up and make the appointment haha, thanks smile

321zerobaby Thu 12-Jan-17 13:57:34

I had a smear test when I was early stages pg, before I knew. There was no problem, is there meant to be an issue with it?

DarcyParty Thu 12-Jan-17 14:05:43

Hi Zero, maybe I'm worrying to much, I've heard of some women finding it painful (and I'm mega nervous since it's my first one) but I'm glad you had no issue, I feel a lot better thanks smile

321zerobaby Thu 12-Jan-17 17:48:16

I remember the nurse saying something like 'nice healthy cervix" or some such remark, it wasn't painful at all. It was 13 years ago though. I had a smear a few months ago, that nurse commented on how easy it was to find my cervix, and it was over very quickly and I felt nothing. I think I must be lucky, pg or not, smears aren't a problem for me, and some women find them uncomfortable or painful. I sort of trance out and take myself off to a beach, to relax myself, not nervous at all. I think that may help with the pain.
Good luck with yours @DarcyParty

delilahbucket Thu 12-Jan-17 19:17:39

I was nervous before my first. Nothing to worry about though in the end. I have a problem with my pelvis so I can't open my legs in the traditional method they expect. After her shoving the spectrum against my symphysis pubis (the front bone) for five mins in the world's most awkward position I put it in myself grin. Was over in under thirty seconds from then!

bummymummy77 Thu 12-Jan-17 19:18:40

I was very concerned about this. I was told by three different doctors and two midwives I trust that it would be fine.

Seahawk80 Thu 12-Jan-17 19:28:55

I got pregnant soon after my first smear in ages (had been travelling and living abroad). I'm sure it helped!

BottyBongos Thu 12-Jan-17 19:48:17

I had one recently in my tww. I researched before and it said that it's safe, it just might be slightly more likely to produce an abnormal result.

sk1pper Fri 13-Jan-17 18:37:40

Hey this is safe as far as I'm aware but why not time it between Af and ovulation so you don't need to worry xx best of luck

GreenGoblin0 Sat 14-Jan-17 08:15:27

I had a smear when I was ttc told the nurse and she asked for my cycle dates as said they wouldn't do it if I was on my fertile window.

Rikalaily Sat 14-Jan-17 09:58:12

I had a smear when I was in the tww with my 2nd, I was actually pregnant but hadn't found out yet. It caused no problems and felt no different to any other smears I've had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now