Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Conceiving with irregular periods

(5 Posts)
Hannah123xo Thu 12-Jan-17 11:54:51

How long did it take people to conceive with having irregular periods and not knowing when you ovulate? My periods are very irregular with not having them every month and finding it hard to conceive, thanks x

HollyMay84 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:19:23

Hi Hanna I too have very irregular periods. There are a few things you can try:

Have sex every other day from end of af to start of next one. That way if you don't know when you ovulate atleast you have your bases covered...

My cycles can range from 20 - 100+ days so that option is a no go for us as it can get exhausting after a while lol

I temp my bbt and enter it into the ff app every morning (there are other apps available) That will tell you that you have ovulated 3 days after you have. I find that at least knowing I ovulated easier than waiting and hoping (and you'll know when to expect af/bfp! grin)

You can try opks. They will let you know when your LH surge is happening, this will warn you that you are expected to/ might ovulate between 12 and 36 hours after you get a positive opk. I can have several surges a cycle so pairing the opks as a nod to when to start dtd and bbt to confirm I ovulated helps no end smile

I hope that helps a little smile how long have you been ttc?

curliegirlie Thu 12-Jan-17 12:35:28

Have you been to the doctors about your irregular cycles? When I was ttc DD I had one cycle of over 140 days (following various other long ones) and found out that I had hypothyroidism. I was given levothyroxine and that (plus possibly agnus castus) sorted them out. They settled down to 30ish days and I conceived 4 months later (16 months after starting ttc). Good luck! x

DarcyParty Thu 12-Jan-17 13:39:38

Sending you good thoughts Hannah! I have irregular periods too and ttc #1. Interestingly, I was tested for hyperthyroidism and Graves disease because of my eyes and periods, but the tests came back negative. Might be worth a trip to the gp like Curlie says just in case smile good luck!

Hannah123xo Thu 12-Jan-17 16:58:05

Thanks everyone for your replies they have defiantly helped in what I need to try and do! I haven't been to the doctors yet but I'm thinking I should as I don't get my period every month it's more every other month, Ive been ttc since last year and still nothing, every test I take is negative because I don't have a clue when I'm fertile or ovulating so hopefully I can have some tests done at the doctors! I hope you all get your positives soon ladies!😀 x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: